Force outs

Guest Tim
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2142 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

My question is you have a runner on third base there are two outs the batter hits a line drive to the pitcher, which  bounces the pitcher place the ball to into play by attempting to get the runner out coming home does not make a play to first base to get the force out. The better halfway up the first base thought  The ball was caught and returnto pick his bat  up. The umpire stated the run did not count and the batter was out even though the run acrossed the plate prior to batter returning to pick up his bat.and no attempt was made for the force out. My question is does the run count.

1 answer to this question

A run does not count when the batter makes the third out before reaching first base.  It doesn't matter if he's put out by F3 touching first, or by being tagged, or by being appealed that he missed first, or declared out for returning to and touching home (your example, but I'm making some assumptions on what happened).

(and, technically, the batter is never forced to first, but it doesn't really matter)

• Like 1