Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DJ Dozier

ball in glove and hand on base

Question

Guest DJ Dozier

With a runner on 1st, ball hit to ss and the second basement covers second for the force out. Mishandles the ball. Ends on the ground with ball in his glove and the his other hand on second base.

My question is do we have an out? I ruled safe, because I am under the impression he could have placed his glove with ball on the base to get the force out or even had the ball in his non glove and put it on the base for the force but not the way he did it. Nevertheless to say i cant find this in my manual.

3 answers to this question

"Ball in glove and foot on base" is an out.  Why would "ball in glove and other hand on base" be any different?

Also, see this, right from the definitions section of the rule book (emphasis added; I didn't cite the entire definition)  --nothing about hand or foot or hair or elbow or knee or ...

A TAG is the action of a fielder in touching a base with his body
while holding the ball securely and firmly in his hand or glove; or touching
a runner with the ball, or with his hand or glove holding the ball (not
including hanging laces alone), while holding the ball securely and
firmly in his hand or glove.

• Like 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Guest DJ Dozier said:

With a runner on 1st, ball hit to ss and the second basement covers second for the force out. Mishandles the ball. Ends on the ground with ball in his glove and the his other hand on second base.

My question is do we have an out? I ruled safe, because I am under the impression he could have placed his glove with ball on the base to get the force out or even had the ball in his non glove and put it on the base for the force but not the way he did it. Nevertheless to say i cant find this in my manual.

He's out! Since this is a force play, the requirements are more relaxed (the second baseman merely has to touch the base with some part of his body before the runner on 1st arrives).  If F4 had tried to tag the runner, instead of the base, his actions would not be considered a tag, because a tag on a player requires contact with the ball in the hand, or the ball in the glove touching the runner. 

Think of it this way... routine play, ball hit to F6 who throws to F3... he is standing with a foot on the base and the ball in his glove. Is the runner out, assuming the ball got to the base before the runner? Of course he is, even without 'tagging' the base with the ball or glove.

Possession of the ball and touching the base before the forced runner advances  is all that is required for the force out. 

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this