Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
The1yankee

MLB UMPIRE WIPING HOME PLATE OFF WITH FOOT

Question

I know I've seen it done in lil league n maybe a lower HS game, but a MLB  UMPIRE USIN HIS FOOT TO WIPE PLATE SEEMS LIKE A UNWRITTEN RULE IN MAJORS. 

After acunas HR for braves in 8th inning, on sportscenter highlights, tonite into tomorrow morning.

Doesnt look very classy, that's for sure, but maybe I've never noticed, since I paid less attention to umpires before, but I know I wouldn't bust out the 

New Balance over the brush, to clear plate, if I was a MLB UMPIRE, LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
14 minutes ago, The1yankee said:

I know I've seen it done in lil league n maybe a lower HS game, but a MLB  UMPIRE USIN HIS FOOT TO WIPE PLATE SEEMS LIKE A UNWRITTEN RULE IN MAJORS. 

After acunas HR for braves in 8th inning, on sportscenter highlights, tonite into tomorrow morning.

Doesnt look very classy, that's for sure, but maybe I've never noticed, since I paid less attention to umpires before, but I know I wouldn't bust out the 

New Balance over the brush, to clear plate, if I was a MLB UMPIRE, LOL

Why is this a question.  Unless there was a slide at the plate which covered the plate in dirt,  then MLB plates are so good there's rarely any dirt on them.  I know at some hs fields with good dirt I only brush off the plate between innings out of habit, not that it needed it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
  • 0
2 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Why is this a question.  Unless there was a slide at the plate which covered the plate in dirt,  then MLB plates are so good there's rarely any dirt on them.  I know at some hs fields with good dirt I only brush off the plate between innings out of habit, not that it needed it.

Just noticed it watching highlights n found it wierd. He gave it a good swipe n had a decent amount of dirt on plate to kick off.

Just thought it would be Mandatory rule to use brush to wipe plate, is all???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Oh I see what u mean. I'm just more talking bout the ump maybe not looking as professional as he should , by using his foot at that level.

Tell us in HS Rulebook,use plate brush to wipe plate, facing backstop, but I guess it doesn't say anything about, not,  using your foot, in my rulebook.

Maybe he forgot his brush?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 minutes ago, The1yankee said:

Oh I see what u mean. I'm just more talking bout the ump maybe not looking as professional as he should , by using his foot at that level.

Tell us in HS Rulebook,use plate brush to wipe plate, facing backstop, but I guess it doesn't say anything about, not,  using your foot, in my rulebook.

Maybe he forgot his brush?

I'll have to look in my rule book to see if it says anything about that.  I can't recall that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 hours ago, The1yankee said:

Doesnt look very classy, that's for sure, but maybe I've never noticed, since I paid less attention to umpires before, but I know I wouldn't bust out the 

 

This.

 

MLB doesn't share your opinion (apparently) -- it happens all the time and has for many years, especially if it's just a speck or two of dirt.  And, many times, it's just a diversion so the umpire can make some comment to the batter or catcher, or give someone some time, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, noumpere said:

This.

 

MLB doesn't share your opinion (apparently) -- it happens all the time and has for many years, especially if it's just a speck or two of dirt.  And, many times, it's just a diversion so the umpire can make some comment to the batter or catcher, or give someone some time, etc.

Thanks @noumpere. I had a feeling that it's not commonplace, but I'm sure happens more than I thought. 

 like I said, now that I pay More attention to umpires, in all games and levels, I had a feeling it was something that I just never noticed.

Thanks for clarification, in ink, much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

My first thought when I see a MLB/MiLB or D1 umpire pawing at the plate with the toe of his plate shoe, I immediately look for what message is he sending.......is it a quiet conversation?, is it a warning?, is it a minute to let the catcher shake off a ball bite?...........

Its rarely to "clean the plate"...........For those of us who toil on the lesser quality ball yards across the country, ........the foot broom can be just that..........a way to uncover the pate from the 3 inches of sand, before the plate brush is used.......

The things that impressed me most about my first big games were:

  • A dressing room?........outstanding
  • How flat the field was.......
  • How only the soles of my plate shoes were the least bit red from the infield mix.
  • Pointing to the ball boy for 3 new pearls.........

  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I know I've been guilty of it, after seeing my peers, with more time umpiring, doing it. Try to stick to brush, but if it's not a slide, where plate gets covered, plate

maybe just a runner crossing the plate, I also will give a lil foot swipe. 

Wasnt sure if it was a grey area, or if rulesbook, made it black & white. 

Now that I  know this info, I won't feel bad givin a lil toe swipe over plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 minutes ago, Stan W. said:

My first thought when I see a MLB/MiLB or D1 umpire pawing at the plate with the toe of his plate shoe, I immediately look for what message is he sending.......is it a quiet conversation?, is it a warning?, is it a minute to let the catcher shake off a ball bite?...........

Its rarely to "clean the plate"...........For those of us who toil on the lesser quality ball yards across the country, ........the foot broom can be just that..........a way to uncover the pate from the 3 inches of sand, before the plate brush is used.......

The things that impressed me most about my first big games were:

  • A dressing room?........outstanding
  • How flat the field was.......
  • How only the soles of my plate shoes were the least bit red from the infield mix.
  • Pointing to the ball boy for 3 new pearls.........

  

Why I love the input from members on here, @Stan W., always more than one reason, for a certain action, in most cases.

This makes perfect sense, thanks SW.

Also enjoyed the comment on quality facilities, as u raise up towards top ranks.

Having a dressing room can't do anything but help an umpire  crew! Your own private spot to decompress, and clear your head, n get ready to focus energy and attention towards your umpiring duties for that day or evening.

N nothing wrong with gettin 3 fresh pieces, when requesting more balls.

 

One more question for ya Stan;

Does college also use a mud mix to condition leather on baseballs? Or is this strictly MLB and/or A, AA, n AAA?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 minutes ago, The1yankee said:

Does college also use a mud mix to condition leather on baseballs? Or is this strictly MLB and/or A, AA, n AAA?

 

Most D-1 use the same mix.  Some colleges even do it for you.  Lower levels it's a lot more like HS (but this might vary by area) -- some places give you a locker room; some don't.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 hours ago, The1yankee said:

but a MLB  UMPIRE USIN HIS FOOT TO WIPE PLATE SEEMS LIKE A UNWRITTEN RULE IN MAJORS. 

Ben May, Monday night’s PU for Boston hosting Oakland, kicked the spilled dirt off the plate after Sandy Leon received the final warmup pitch and threw down to 2B...

... and this was to start the game. 

What difference does it make? 

None whatsoever.

I’ll tell you what Ben May didn’t do at any time during that 9-inning game, that far too many amateur umpires do, and what gives a worse impression than kicking dirt off the plate or “properly” brushing it off – May didn’t linger by the dugouts or backstop and chat up fans or hob-knob with players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Its always been a mixed bag for me......I've never done D1.......but my area is awash with D3 ........I've gotten baseballs prior to rub up, or not seen a baseball until the plate meeting...I've seen them torn from the plastic and thrown directly into the game.

I'm prepared if need be..........my little tub of Lena Blackburn's rubbing mud has traveled many miles........    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

If the plate is covered 3 inches down in dirt, and I forgot my push broom in the car, I will use a shoe to find the plate... then go to the brush for the final cleaning. Also before the game when the plate has that dried mud crust on it, I will give it some good rubs with the bottom of the shoe to break it up, then brush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, MadMax said:

Ben May, Monday night’s PU for Boston hosting Oakland, kicked the spilled dirt off the plate after Sandy Leon received the final warmup pitch and threw down to 2B...

... and this was to start the game. 

What difference does it make? 

None whatsoever.

I’ll tell you what Ben May didn’t do at any time during that 9-inning game, that far too many amateur umpires do, and what gives a worse impression than kicking dirt off the plate or “properly” brushing it off – May didn’t linger by the dugouts or backstop and chat up fans or hob-knob with players. 

I bet he didn't yell "CATCH!!" on a popout to F3 either. Or scream "FOUL!!" on a ball fouled straight back. :fuel:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

 

 

 

 

 

9 hours ago, MadMax said:

Ben May, Monday night’s PU for Boston hosting Oakland, kicked the spilled dirt off the plate after Sandy Leon received the final warmup pitch and threw down to 2B...

... and this was to start the game. 

What difference does it make? 

None whatsoever.

I’ll tell you what Ben May didn’t do at any time during that 9-inning game, that far too many amateur umpires do, and what gives a worse impression than kicking dirt off the plate or “properly” brushing it off – May didn’t linger by the dugouts or backstop and chat up fans or hob-knob with players. 

Ya no SH*#, feels like they're not even part of the umpire crew, or in my case, pair.

while we are going there another thing that's really annoying, is when your working with a partner, and the guy don't even wanna look at  ya, so definitely no signs being traded. Just makes game a lot better, when u feel like yur workin WITH your partner, and more like 2 separate umpires, doin THEIR OWN JOB. Just kills the vibe. partners

 

Makes you understand why umpires only want to work with known or trusted partners!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Question: is this something we as Umpires only notice among ourselves, and nobody else notices? How many coaches have you heard, "Hey Blue, use a brush, will ya?" Just sayin'. If it's something only we are aware of, maybe we're taking it too seriously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 hours ago, jjb said:

Question: is this something we as Umpires only notice among ourselves, and nobody else notices? How many coaches have you heard, "Hey Blue, use a brush, will ya?" Just sayin'. If it's something only we are aware of, maybe we're taking it too seriously. 

Yes, the coaches notice -- at least subconsciously.  What to do depends on the amount of dirt.  If it's just a clump or two -- kick it off.  If it's covered in several inches, kick much of it off and finish with the brush.  In between, use the brush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×