Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
MT73

Corrected mound

Question

Bottom first.
Coach discovers that the mound is 46 feet as opposed to 51. (12U)
I inform the coach to fix the mound ASAP.
He says we should wait until after the inning.
I tell him it by rule it should be fixed right now.
He refuses because it would not be “fair.”
I let it go because I am not sure.
In USA softball the rule is very clear— fix the mound as soon as the error is discovered.
Is the same true in baseball?

5 answers to this question

Leave it until the inning is over. If you allow one team to pitch closer to the plate, you are giving that team an advantage. Our job is to enforce the rules and conditions of the game fairly.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

<< fast pitch softball rules >>

You were correct to have it fixed immediately.

The rules are clear.  If you do not fix it immediately, you risk a protest that you will definitely lose.

<< fast pitch softball rules >>

2 hours ago, CJK said:

You were correct to have it fixed immediately.

The rules are clear.  If you do not fix it immediately, you risk a protest that you will definitely lose.

Thank you.

Not to mention a safety issue.

Mr. CJK, could you give us a citation please. What rules do you mean? The following rules are all that I could find regarding a nonregulation field.

NCAA rule 4

Umpire’s Duties

SECTION 1. Before the start of the game, the umpire-in-chief and/or umpire crew shall: a. Check the condition of the field and inspect all playing lines and markers for proper location and adequate visibility.

PENALTY—If the field dimensions, equipment and facilities are illegal, the game is subject to forfeit if conditions are not corrected in a reasonable length of time.

NFHS rule 1-1-12 Any game started on a nonregulation facility by mutual agreement of the opposing coaches shall not be protested for this reason.

The closest FED case book play to the OP is 1.2.12 and it gives no help as to how or when to fix the illegal aspect of the playing field.

@Senor Azul, thanks for bringing this up.  I forget that rulesets range far and wide, and I forget that while baseball and softball have significant overlap in their rules, they're not the same.

USSSA fast pitch: "NOTE: Every effort should be made by the Umpire to obtain the correct dimensions. If the base distances or the pitching distance is found to be at the wrong dimensions during the course of the game, the error shall be corrected immediately, with no penalty. The game shall continue and shall not be protested for this reason."

NSA fast pitch: "NOTE: If during the course of any game, the base distance or pitching distance is found to be in error, the error should be corrected immediately, and the game should continue. This is not a point to be protested."

Once again, I should investigated baseball rulesets before posting, and I did not.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this