Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest David Chase

Batted ball hits runner

Question

Guest David Chase

Runner on first, batter hits ball up middle. Ball goes off pitchers glove, 2nd baseman charges the ball and misplays the ball.  The ball goes by the 2nd baseman and strikes the runner who was on 1st and is headed to 2nd.  Is the baserunner out because the ball hit him after it went by the 2nd baseman?

4 answers to this question

Once the ball deflects off a fielder, the pitcher in  this case, the base runner is not called for interference if he is unintentionally hit by the deflected ball. (Interference can be called if it is intentional). Additionally, and only if it didn't deflect off the pitcher, and F4 had a chance to field the ball and didn't, once the ball is past him, the runner would not be called out for interference unless there was another infielder who had a chance to make a play on the ball  or if it was intentional. Keep in mind, the runner is still required to avoid a fielder making a play on the ball. 

• Like 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Now help me out on this little change. Cause I think I got it wrong.

This batted ball doesn't hit F1's glove (like in the OP). However, it does (1) incidentally hit off of F1's leg... ala a line drive back up the middle hits him, or (2) F1 kicks as the ball and deflects it with his leg/foot.

In both cases the ball hits R1 before reaching F4.

39 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

This batted ball doesn't hit F1's glove (like in the OP). However, it does (1) incidentally hit off of F1's leg... ala a line drive back up the middle hits him, or (2) F1 kicks as the ball and deflects it with his leg/foot.

Just a guess, as my references are not handy, but I believe case plays like in the MLBUM simply say "deflected off the fielder". No mention of off a glove or arm, or leg, etc. 

8 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

It's still deflected -- no INT.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.