Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest Matt

Stealing home with a foul ball

Question

Guest Matt

A runner is stealing home. The batter swings at the pitch and fouls it off, but the runner reaches the plate before the batter makes contact with the ball. Would the run still count?

15 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Guest Matt said:

A runner is stealing home. The batter swings at the pitch and fouls it off, but the runner reaches the plate before the batter makes contact with the ball. Would the run still count?

No. Back to 3B.

Really stupid on someone's part.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Guest Matt said:

Think about it. The runner at first is stealing 2nd and he makes it there before the batter fouls off the ball. Does the runner stay at 2b?

• Like 1

I can only imagine the horrors going through the plate umpire's mind! Also... you know OHC hasn't even THOUGHT of the horrors going through the plate umpire's mind!

14 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

I can only imagine the horrors going through the plate umpire's mind! Also... you know OHC hasn't even THOUGHT of the horrors going through the plate umpire's mind!

The coach is thinking of the horrors of R3 getting hit with the bat or a line drive and devising the punishment for whichever one missed the sign.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Guest Matt said:

As in all plays of this nature (it's usually asked with R1 going to second, and either a really slow delivery or a pitcher not paying attention), the runner returns to the base occupied at the time of the pitch -- that is, when the pitcher begins his motion.  i assume that was third in your play.

If he reaches Home Plate before the pitcher makes any motion associated with the pith then the run scores.

On 5/13/2018 at 9:06 PM, Guest Matt said:

This sounds dangerous. Visualize R3 sliding into home as the batter is taking a swing. 

8 hours ago, ARK1215 said:

This sounds dangerous. Visualize R3 sliding into home as the batter is taking a swing. 

Is there a myth or local rule that requires the coach to be ejected if that happens? I've heard of that happening.

It also sounds highly unlikely.

Sure, I guess there could be a scenario where R3 steals without any signal from coach, and a right-handed batter is oblivious to it.

But I also think it's highly unlikely that R3 gets past the batter/plate before the pitch arrives, and before the swing happens - the more likely scenario is R3 gets his head literally knocked off his neck.

22 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Is there a myth or local rule that requires the coach to be ejected if that happens? I've heard of that happening.

As we all know, a lot of "local rules" come about cause something happened in the past that the league over reacted to.

I SHUDDER to think what play happened that would result in your scenario Jim.

4 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

As we all know, a lot of "local rules" come about cause something happened in the past that the league over reacted to.

I SHUDDER to think what play happened that would result in your scenario Jim.

From what I heard, a swing and a steal but no damage. Coach ejected:huh:

I think I have actually come across that same "rule" as well. But I was still young enough to not question the why of it all.

Time to curl into a ball and think about what the penalty would be for a steal and swing WITH damage.

I can easily visualize this, as I was the batter when this happened when I was 13...one of my first AB in Babe Ruth League. R3 started his slide early when he saw I was swinging.  Oh yeah I missed the sign.

41 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

We have a local (League) rule for 10U/12U/14U which reads:

Suicide squeeze plays and outright stealing of home without a pause or break before the ball crosses home plate shall be illegal. The runner shall be called out, and the runner and Head Coach shall be ejected; it will be a dead ball and the runners may not advance. A safety squeeze or delayed steal is a legal play, however the runner at 3rd may not advance more than half-way between the base and home plate prior to the ball crossing the plate.

It's difficult for the BU to watch R3 and the pitch at the same time.  

1 hour ago, rzanew said:

We have a local (League) rule for 10U/12U/14U which reads:

It's difficult for the BU to watch R3 and the pitch at the same time.  

The adage still applies: LRMBF

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.