Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
PatrickArnold95

Hit by pitch outside of the batter’s box

So I saw this video on Instagram last night where the batter tried to call time while the pitcher was in motion, stepped completely out of the box, and got hit by the pitch. Ignore the fact that it looked completely intentional, but let’s say this happened on accident. What would be the call? My initial thought would that it would be a dead-ball ball call, similar to a swinging hit by pitch. My other thought would be that it was interference and the batter is out and everyone returns to their original base. I wouldn’t be surprised if I am completely wrong on this, but I can’t manage to find anything about it in any rule book, and I’m curious as to what the call would be.

Here is the video...

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/03/brayden-carey-east-coweta-georgia-high-school-baseball-hit-by-pitch-video-wheeler-out-of-box

Thanks!!

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

With the umpire calling time it would be nothing (assuming accidental like you said).  However, if we remove the called "Time" from the play as well I would have a ball and the ball would be dead.  My reasoning here is that in 5.04(b)(2), if the batter leaves the box after the pitcher has come set, the umpire is supposed to call the pitch.  Since the batter was hit while clearly standing outside the box I would say he cannot go to first base, as he has left his "position."

I would have granted time to the batter to begin with. I think he did this on purpose so pitcher is leaving early. No way he was that wild

6 hours ago, PatrickArnold95 said:

So I saw this video on Instagram last night where the batter tried to call time while the pitcher was in motion, stepped completely out of the box, and got hit by the pitch. Ignore the fact that it looked completely intentional, but let’s say this happened on accident. What would be the call? My initial thought would that it would be a dead-ball ball call, similar to a swinging hit by pitch. My other thought would be that it was interference and the batter is out and everyone returns to their original base. I wouldn’t be surprised if I am completely wrong on this, but I can’t manage to find anything about it in any rule book, and I’m curious as to what the call would be.

Here is the video...

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/03/brayden-carey-east-coweta-georgia-high-school-baseball-hit-by-pitch-video-wheeler-out-of-box

Thanks!!

Think through your two thoughts on this, and you'll find your answer. Your first thought was that it would be a dead ball. So since the umpire called time, why wouldn't it be a dead ball call?

Your other thought was that it could be batter interference and the batter is out. Apply similar criteria and ask why would it be interference? What did the batter do to hinder the defense?

I can see logic in your first question, but not so much in your second one. Take the events in sequence:

1. Umpire calls time. The ball is dead, so no play can occur.

2. Batter steps out. Fair enough. He's allowed to.

3. Pitcher throws the ball. Because time was called, this is not a pitch... just a thrown ball.

4. Ball hits batter. Here's where the judgement comes in. If you think it wasn't intentional, there's nothing to be done. Reset everything and play on. But if you think it was intentional, warn the pitcher or eject him.

12 hours ago, ElkOil said:

Think through your two thoughts on this, and you'll find your answer. Your first thought was that it would be a dead ball. So since the umpire called time, why wouldn't it be a dead ball call?

Your other thought was that it could be batter interference and the batter is out. Apply similar criteria and ask why would it be interference? What did the batter do to hinder the defense?

I can see logic in your first question, but not so much in your second one. Take the events in sequence:

1. Umpire calls time. The ball is dead, so no play can occur.

2. Batter steps out. Fair enough. He's allowed to.

3. Pitcher throws the ball. Because time was called, this is not a pitch... just a thrown ball.

4. Ball hits batter. Here's where the judgement comes in. If you think it wasn't intentional, there's nothing to be done. Reset everything and play on. But if you think it was intentional, warn the pitcher or eject him.

If he called time, I missed it. But I’m not too worried about what’s happening in the video but more what would you call a play if a batter was outside of the batter’s box and was hit by a pitch. Would he get first base? Would he be given a ball? Would he be out for interference? Would it be something else? 

1 hour ago, PatrickArnold95 said:

If he called time, I missed it. But I’m not too worried about what’s happening in the video but more what would you call a play if a batter was outside of the batter’s box and was hit by a pitch. Would he get first base? Would he be given a ball? Would he be out for interference? Would it be something else? 

This is how I interpret it...

If the batter steps out without time being granted the umpire should call a strike on the batter. 

If the pitch is thrown and doesn’t hit the batter the ball should be live and either a ball or strike called on the pitch.

A ball that hits a batter while he’s out of the batter’s box is either a ball or strike (depending on where the ball was) not a HBP, and the ball is dead. 

In this situation it’s strike (for stepping out of the box without being granted time), then a ball (for the location of the pitch). If it’s strike 3 the batter is out. If it’s not strike 3 but it is ball 4 it’s a base on balls. If it’s neither strike 3 nor ball 4, one strike and one ball is added to the count and the batter remains at bat. The ball is dead for contacting the batter and runners go back except if forced by a base on balls. 

Unless you think the batter "failed to avoid the pitch" (or whatever the specific wording is), your ideas are in conflict with the rules.  In the play presented (as I am reading it -- I can't get to the video), give BR first.

23 minutes ago, noumpere said:

Unless you think the batter "failed to avoid the pitch" (or whatever the specific wording is), your ideas are in conflict with the rules.  In the play presented (as I am reading it -- I can't get to the video), give BR first.

Even if the contact with the ball occurs outside of the batters box? 

On 5/11/2018 at 7:52 PM, UmpCast_Wes said:

My reasoning here is that in 5.04(b)(2), if the batter leaves the box after the pitcher has come set, the umpire is supposed to call the pitch.  Since the batter was hit while clearly standing outside the box I would say he cannot go to first base, as he has left his "position."

I believe this may be right if the batter was out of the box when the pitcher started his delivery.  If the batter is in the box - the legal position - at TOP then I think this is a HBP - and it looks like he was - he starts stepping backwards before the pitch, but he's still in the box when the delivery starts.  Otherwise you'd have to rule a batter who dives backwards out of the box to avoid a pitch, but gets hit anyway, doesn't get first base.