First one this year

KCKUMP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2132 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

You ever get that feeling at the plate meeting that this coach will not be here to see the end of the game?

14U boys I got plate. Call for head coaches for the plate meeting. Coaches are your boys properly equipped and ready to play? Both coaches say yes and HT coach ask where is your zone? I say over the plate. He says I only ask because it seems to be different every game. At this point I feel the need to stress to him we don’t argue balls and strikes and his response is yeah I know this ain’t my first rodeo blue. I break plate meeting and say let’s play ball cause I feel this heading in a bad direction and I don’t want to dump him at the plate meeting. 

During warmups pitcher throws one low and HT catchers yells get them up you know I forgot my cup....oh no here we go. I stop tell HT manager his catcher is required to wear a cup it’s in league rules. He tells me it’s fine and I say well it’s really not, I asked you in plate meeting if your players were properly equipped and you said yes, a catcher without a cup is not properly equipped. He says this is ridiculous and it’s really none of my business, I said look he either gets a cup on or you find a new catcher. He ask for white hat and we send for him. He comes down backs me up and coach is pissed but surprise find a cup for catcher. His pitcher struggles and gives up several runs and his team goes down in order. Second inning I call ball on a close pitch and he ask where it missed at and I ignore (I have found once you start the where was it at game it never stops) he is mad I would not answer him. He is talking loud in his dugout about it’s the rule I have to answer him but again I just ignore. Inning gets over and he comes walking out towards me, right as he gets to me I say coach one word about the zone and you are done and he walks away. VT catcher sets up inside and pitch is outside forcing catcher to reach over but clearly hits the corner and I ring him up. HT manager is furious and comes walking from 3rd base box toward me saying you have to be joking? I had enough and was not going to do this for another hour so see ya. He says how many games have you umped and I say coach this ain’t my first rodeo. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Coaches don’t ask you where your zone is so they can go coach up their players....they do it to say “**** you, you said you wouldn’t call that” later in the game on anything borderline. You do what you want, but I don’t even dignify that question with an answer from a coach. (Dang, I’m feeling a little salty today...sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I find his disregard for the safety of his player a lot more alarming than his whining about the zone. What a complete and utter tool. For youth ball, I think I would have dumped him when he gave me static when telling him the F2 was required to have a cup and he gave push back.

• Like 3

"My zone is in the book. You should read it."

I've had a couple groans on pitches where the catcher reaches across the plate, but no complaints. I had a couple parents ask about high pitches after a game, not in a confrontational manner, but more curiosity. When I explained how the zone worked, they were all surprised that it changed for every batter. So when the 5' tall catcher reaches up for a pitch to a 6' batter, it still could be in the strike zone. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KCKUMP said:

HT coach ask where is your zone?

"I dunno: where are you going to pitch it?"

You ever get that feeling at the plate meeting that this coach will not be here to see the end of the game?

Yes. And I think, "Well, why wait?"

He says how many games have you umped

"Well, today, one more than you're going to coach."

• Like 3

This question only happens in a (young) travel game, where I just don't care to give them any sort of serious answer. I've pointed to the plate and said "we'll start with this" or "it revolves around this." Usually they are asking about height, while drawing on their own body. It's so awkward and silly.

And to the point about "being able to tell at the plate conference", oh, absolutely. I once had both coaches inform me that the speed up rule in their league was that you could run for the pitcher and catcher for the next inning - OK, fine, we're on the same page, everyone agrees...until the away coach blurts out "but obviously he can't run for them in the bottom of the 7th." To which I then had to explain that a) we can play extra innings and b) you can't have something applicable for one team for 7 innings and one team for 6 innings. What if you're trailing in the top of the 7th? Should it not be allowed then too?

He kept going on about how he's "been in this game a long time and I've never had any umpire say they can do it in the bottom of the 7th inning." Eventually we ended as he left in a huff, and the home team coach stood there for a second and said "that guy is a piece of work. He already fought me for the typical home team dugout when we were both here an hour before the game."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CJK said:

My favorite part.

I wanted to tell him I am the regular white hat and was only doing the game because I had an ump save my ass by coming in and doing games for me last minute last week so I was doing it for free and paying the ump. The white hat that night is the GM who also does high school games. 

4 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

I find his disregard for the safety of his player a lot more alarming than his whining about the zone. What a complete and utter tool. For youth ball, I think I would have dumped him when he gave me static when telling him the F2 was required to have a cup and he gave push back.

The kids parents came up to me after the game and tell me he has played for years here and never wore one to catch. I told them look here is the deal, it’s a league rule, it’s a rule to protect your child from injuries, if I know he is not wearing one I am liable for any injuries he might get. They say I dont know why you would be liable? At that point I shook my head and walked away. Btw my umps will be checking him before every game now

Not only is a rule, but child endangerment in most states is a crime.

Sorry Mom and Dad.. buy your kid a cup. Look at what happened to Molina the other day, and I am 100000000% sure he had one on!

• Like 3

Whats a 'white' hat? 

Coach: Where's your zone today blue?

Me: Depends

Coach: Depends? 

Me: Yes, we need to make this a fast game, I'm on my last depends.....

• Haha 2

The person called the Referee, who is football's answer to a crew chief. He is responsible for administering the coin toss, announcing penalties, and declaring the ball ready for play. 

I'm surprised about a white hat in a baseball game, but maybe there was a game manager or tournament director there, and the OP called him the white hat out of habit, because he also works football. 

On 5/11/2018 at 9:10 AM, KCKUMP said:

I break plate meeting and say let’s play ball cause I feel this heading in a bad direction and I don’t want to dump him at the plate meeting. 

Pay me now or pay me later.  Paying now typically eliminates headaches.

13 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

The person called the Referee, who is football's answer to a crew chief. He is responsible for administering the coin toss, announcing penalties, and declaring the ball ready for play. 

I'm surprised about a white hat in a baseball game, but maybe there was a game manager or tournament director there, and the OP called him the white hat out of habit, because he also works football. 

It was the UIC but we also call them white hats. Not sure why just been called that since I started

• Like 1

its true that you can see some EJ's coming............I've been stunned at a few of my EJ's at how fast they went from a non-issue to ejection.....................I always fall back on my general feelings on EJ's.........if they need to go.....they go.

Now I understand that it may not have anything to do with you or the current game...It doesn't matter if it stems from an on field issue or bad day at work, an argument with the wife or speeding ticket on the way to the game, we all have lives and sometimes they bleed over....its no excuse, they need to get dealt with the same way......but sometimes it helps to resolve the feeling "that sure went bad fast!"

5 hours ago, Stan W. said:

its true that you can see some EJ's coming............I've been stunned at a few of my EJ's at how fast they went from a non-issue to ejection.....................I always fall back on my general feelings on EJ's.........if they need to go.....they go.

Now I understand that it may not have anything to do with you or the current game...It doesn't matter if it stems from an on field issue or bad day at work, an argument with the wife or speeding ticket on the way to the game, we all have lives and sometimes they bleed over....its no excuse, they need to get dealt with the same way......but sometimes it helps to resolve the feeling "that sure went bad fast!"

When it goes from 0 to ejected in 4.2 seconds, 99 times out of a 100 that's on the coach...they've given ump no choice, and most of those times they've done it on purpose.

I've rarely, if ever, seen a umpire bringing their personal life to the game to the point of a lightning fast ejection...most times they stew for a few innings before exploding.   In those cases, where you know an ump is in a bad mood, you know by the end of the plate meeting if any whiff of questioning his judgment is advisable.

On 5/11/2018 at 11:10 AM, KCKUMP said:

Both coaches say yes and HT coach ask where is your zone? I say over the plate. He says I only ask because it seems to be different every game.

If you had him in previous games I say that's enough right there.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 10:10 AM, KCKUMP said:

14U boys I got plate. Call for head coaches for the plate meeting. Coaches are your boys properly equipped and ready to play? Both coaches say yes and HT coach ask where is your zone? I say over the plate. He says I only ask because it seems to be different every game. At this point I feel the need to stress to him we don’t argue balls and strikes and his response is yeah I know this ain’t my first rodeo blue. I break plate meeting and say let’s play ball cause I feel this heading in a bad direction and I don’t want to dump him at the plate meeting. 

During warmups pitcher throws one low and HT catchers yells get them up you know I forgot my cup....oh no here we go. I stop tell HT manager his catcher is required to wear a cup it’s in league rules. He tells me it’s fine and I say well it’s really not, I asked you in plate meeting if your players were properly equipped and you said yes, a catcher without a cup is not properly equipped. He says this is ridiculous and it’s really none of my business, I said look he either gets a cup on or you find a new catcher. He ask for white hat and we send for him. He comes down backs me up and coach is pissed but surprise find a cup for catcher. His pitcher struggles and gives up several runs and his team goes down in order. Second inning I call ball on a close pitch and he ask where it missed at and I ignore (I have found once you start the where was it at game it never stops) he is mad I would not answer him. He is talking loud in his dugout about it’s the rule I have to answer him but again I just ignore. Inning gets over and he comes walking out towards me, right as he gets to me I say coach one word about the zone and you are done and he walks away. VT catcher sets up inside and pitch is outside forcing catcher to reach over but clearly hits the corner and I ring him up. HT manager is furious and comes walking from 3rd base box toward me saying you have to be joking? I had enough and was not going to do this for another hour so see ya. He says how many games have you umped and I say coach this ain’t my first rodeo. 

Don't answer. You took the bait, and the conversation escalated from there.

From there, the tone was set. You both contributed to the blaze that was about to happen...He may have built the campfire, but you lit it. There was no conversation at this point and now you just created confrontation. 

It may have been inevitable that he was going to get ejected, but some of what you did didn't help. Under other circumstances, I would have said you had a quick hook--that comment is not going to result in a justifiable ejection. With what had happened, I think it's defensible in the moment, but you sowed the seeds for it and the argument could be made that you were looking for an excuse to do it.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 7:27 PM, Matt said:

Don't answer. You took the bait, and the conversation escalated from there.

From there, the tone was set. You both contributed to the blaze that was about to happen...He may have built the campfire, but you lit it. There was no conversation at this point and now you just created confrontation. 

It may have been inevitable that he was going to get ejected, but some of what you did didn't help. Under other circumstances, I would have said you had a quick hook--that comment is not going to result in a justifiable ejection. With what had happened, I think it's defensible in the moment, but you sowed the seeds for it and the argument could be made that you were looking for an excuse to do it.

I did not take the bait at all. I will not explain my zone to a coach in the plate meeting. I set the tone if we are playing ball and your questioning of my zone will not be tolorated.

I was not looking for an ejection but had a feeling it was going that way. If you read it you would see I gave him several chances and walked away several times. It was a good ejection and sorry you can’t see that

20 minutes ago, KCKUMP said:

I did not take the bait at all.

Sure you did. And you're still arguing.

20 minutes ago, KCKUMP said:

I set the tone if we are playing ball and your questioning of my zone will not be tolerated.

This comment primes the coach (and anyone else who can hear you) for conflict.

23 minutes ago, KCKUMP said:

It was a good ejection and sorry you can’t see that

I doubt that you are sorry. Rather, you seem like a lot of umpires who come here, post an problematic EJ or situation looking for validation, and then become defensive when given advice regarding how they can improve. It suggests (which is far from proof) that you're more interested in appearing to be right than in improving.

30 minutes ago, maven said:

Sure you did. And you're still arguing.

This comment primes the coach (and anyone else who can hear you) for conflict.

I doubt that you are sorry. Rather, you seem like a lot of umpires who come here, post an problematic EJ or situation looking for validation, and then become defensive when given advice regarding how they can improve. It suggests (which is far from proof) that you're more interested in appearing to be right than in improving.

You have your opinion and I have mine. I shared an ejection and was not seeking approval for it. It was a good ejection and no not sorry at all. You come off as superior saying “I come here like a lot of umpires looking for validation” lol trust me I don’t need validation if I ever need it I will quit being an umpire.