Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
AL-Ump

Wilson Ti Frame - Standard vs. Low Profile vs. Force 3

Greetings all!

New to the board - I'm a fast pitch softball guy.  Currently I have a Force 3 V2 mask and I'm looking to go to something lighter.  I have recently acquired a Wilson Ti mask without pads and the previous owner said it was low profile mask.  I ordered some Wendy's pads and a Wilson strap (Ump-Attire) for the mask and am looking at getting it black powder coated (everything for NCAA softball has to be black).

Reading some of the articles on this site, looks like most prefer the Standard Profile frame due to it deflecting shots better.  I also read that you pretty much need to wear a 4 stitch hat with the low profile frame.  These things have lead me to thinking maybe I need to get a standard frame instead of the low profile.

Was wondering your thoughts on this matter - 

Thanks.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I have a standard profile Wilson titanium already powder coated black if you’re interested

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tpatience said:

I have a standard profile Wilson titanium already powder coated black if you’re interested

And at a pretty darn good price if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AL-Ump said:

Greetings all!

New to the board - I'm a fast pitch softball guy.  Currently I have a Force 3 V2 mask and I'm looking to go to something lighter.  I have recently acquired a Wilson Ti mask without pads and the previous owner said it was low profile mask.  I ordered some Wendy's pads and a Wilson strap (Ump-Attire) for the mask and am looking at getting it black powder coated (everything for NCAA softball has to be black).

Reading some of the articles on this site, looks like most prefer the Standard Profile frame due to it deflecting shots better.  I also read that you pretty much need to wear a 4 stitch hat with the low profile frame.  These things have lead me to thinking maybe I need to get a standard frame instead of the low profile.

Was wondering your thoughts on this matter - 

Thanks.

I had a low profile and used a 6 stitch with no issues.  Did not like how I felt after taking shots while wearing it.  Even slow shots had an effect on me.  I recommend the standard profile.

6 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

And at a pretty darn good price if I remember correctly.

It's a smoking good price.

• Like 1

I only wear Wilsonlow-profile masks. I have three. Two Ti- One black that I had powder coated by Tony at Mask-It! And the original silver I bought from Gerry Davis Sports in 2008 and one Cro-Moly. I have always worn an 8 stitch hat with these masks. I wear my harnesses very loose and my hats very snug. No issues whatsoever with either. Masks spin left or right when hit. Hat stays put. No ill effects like headaches (except for the two games I wore Team Wendy’s pads and had monster headaches from being hit three times total in the two days I wore them).

I like the standoff distance that the 8 stitch hat gives me. I also only wear traditional leather mask pads and I wear them for years until they wear out. I don’t change them every year. My pads are tan doeskin Wilson and black leather Wilson. I have one black +POS set of mask pads on my Wilson Cro-moly low-profile that I had Tony powder coat a gun metal gray.

All 3 masks set up the same with 6” Wilson MLB logo throat guards,  which I highly recommend as well  

I love the low-profile masks.  I’ve tried full profile and think I get a better view with the low.

As for the deflection properties of low versus standard profile I found no differences in impacts.  The key to avoid injury from baseballs hitting you in the mask is the extra loose harness.  Wear it so loose that it just sets on your head and the forehead pad rests on the bill.  The chin pad should barely touch your chin or set half inch or so off your chin when in your plate stance depending how far forward you lean in your stance. You cannot run with the loose mask harness on. It will bounce off. We are supposed to pull the mask off for most plays anyway so it’s not an issue for me.  However, I notice more and more of my umpire partners wear their masks in more situations than I do. To each his own I guess.  Good thing I’m not their evaluator.

My .02...... good luck with your decision