Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

So I see that Typhoon is coming back on the field.  Well, since the universe as a way of balancing out, I'm off the field for an unknown period of time.

To be fair, some of it is a move from Virginia to Texas that's causing it - I'm in the middle of a house-hunting trip to San Antonio, where I'll be for the next three years, roughly.  And when I get back from the trip, I've only got about a month left in Virginia, and there's all the disruption caused by that.

But the other thing is, I recently received a lymphoma diagnosis.  When I get back from house-hunting, I get to have a PET scan, a port surgically installed in my chest, and then my first round of chemo.  All in about five days.  Yeah, me?

My current oncologist has a strangely calming influence, so even despite my move to Texas, he's not all that concerned, so I'm not freaking out or anything.  (Other than the potential for losing hair, that is - for some reason, that bothers me the most right now.  It's vain, but I am what I am.)   According to him, there are six treatments, so we're talking well into the summer, it would appear.

So, while I'm personally not a religious guy, I will not turn down well wishes, good thoughts, and any prayers you want to offer.  My last games were the day before I got on the plane to San Antonio, so we'll see where it takes me.  I'll try to keep up here, but we'll see.

Keep working hard, fellas!

• Like 2

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Praying for you!

I bet your looking forward to the longer ball seasons in TX. May you get back on the field quickly!

Best Wishes Brother!!

8 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

(Other than the potential for losing hair, that is - for some reason, that bothers me the most right now.  It's vain, but I am what I am.) 

Some of us do this on purpose. You might decide you don't ever want to grow any back. (Especially moving to the Texas heat.)

8 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

So, while I'm personally not a religious guy...

Well I am. Prayers headed your way.

Sounds like a whirlwind going on. Take care of yourself!

Prayers and best wishes!

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:59 AM, HokieUmp said:

(...losing hair, that is - for some reason, that bothers me the most right now.  It's vain, but I am what I am.)   

A big hat will look natural in Texas.  

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:59 AM, HokieUmp said:

So, while I'm personally not a religious guy, I will not turn down well wishes, good thoughts, and any prayers you want to offer.

There never was a real atheist in a foxhole.

Don't quit.  You inspire the rest of us.

1. Welcome to Texas!

2. Take care of yourself and do what you have to get better.

3. Lots of well-wishes!!

On the upside, I've managed to set myself up for a few more games before The Treatment.  I'm still on my house-hunting trip (got a house under contract here AND have managed to get the Williamsburg house under contract as well!).  I've already ended up regular association schedule, but it turns out a local in Williamsburg I work for occasionally needed guys on Sunday for some 12U action.  Since next week won't start to suck until Monday, I grabbed 'em.  Delaying the Reaper by a few more days.  (I forgot to mention that, although a sense of humour IS needed to fight disease, mine tends to run towards "gallows."  It's not a great match.)

Thanks for the well-wishes, fellas.

Just one last update.  I'm not trying to turn this part of the Forum into a "ribbon site" - I don't know what colour ribbon is used for lymphoma - but I thought I would do one more.

Didn't get those games last week, since it just rained like hell in Virginia for about 8-10 days.  Sunday itself was SPECTACULAR, but the fields were evidently swamped.  We were cancelled the day before, it had gotten so bad.

The real reason for the post is that I had my first session of chemo today.  Lucky me - the recipe they use for my particular version has four different chemicals given by IV, and although two of them take maybe 15 minutes to do, the other two take something like four hours combined.  And the first hour or two is the prepping, and a bunch of other chemicals - all aimed at mitigating the effects.  (I think I got twice as many non-chemo meds as the chemo meds.)

At the risk of messing with the luck - like the conference trophy in hockey (GO CAPS!) - I'm feeling pretty good.  No barfing.  And because it's still early in the process, I still have my hair!!!  For now.

Anyway, last update.  If you care, or are curious about the process, want a laugh or two, or are just looking to use up your data for the month, I'm writing about it at shaunandthecancer.blogspot.com. 

Thanks again for the support.

(Oh, and since I just Googled it - lymphoma's ribbon colour is lime green.  Still trying to get used to that.)

• Like 1