The New York Mets just batted out of order and got caught.

MikeSafari
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2175 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Order was Nimmo, Cabrera, Flores, Bruce, Gonzalez....Flores batted in 2 spot and struck out for second out, Reds let Cabrera come in and pitched to him. He doubled and BOO was appealed. Bruce was out for third out, no double for Cabrera and Gonzalez led off next inning.

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

So instead of a double Cabrera strikes out. What would a smart manager do? @beerguy55 @Rich Ives

Wait until the next inning.  Let Bruce bat...once he gets a pitch, Cabrera's at-bat becomes legal (unless the end of the previous inning makes it legal), and the new order goes from Cabrera.  If Bruce gets a hit, appeal as Flores should be the batter.  Flores is out (which makes him 0/2 over three batters), Bruce gets to try again.  If on his illegal turn Bruce gets out, then let it go.   Wait until the next rotation of the lineup and see if they do it again.

22 minutes ago, Gil said:

Hint: He already did it when Flores, also out of turn, struck out.

Yes, but if he doesn't appeal a Cabrera K he might have to face Bruce, cleanup, for real instead of passing over him for the #5 hitter.

Cabrera legalized by a pitch to either team, Bruce, as expected, leads off next inning and gets on base. Appealed and Flores is out and you face Bruce again.

Or, Mets get wind of their FU and bring Flores the proper batter after Cabrera was not appealed to lead off. You get to face the 3 and 4 batters.

How would the Mets get wind of their screw up I don't know but it might happen.

5 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Yes, but if he doesn't appeal a Cabrera K he might have to face Bruce, cleanup, for real instead of passing over him for the #5 hitter.

Cabrera legalized by a pitch to either team, Bruce, as expected, leads off next inning and gets on base. Appealed and Flores is out and you face Bruce again.

Or, Mets get wind of their FU and bring Flores the proper batter after Cabrera was not appealed to lead off. You get to face the 3 and 4 batters.

How would the Mets get wind of their screw up I don't know but it might happen.

I see what you're saying - eliminate one Bruce at bat from the game...and take the bird in hand as the free out may not happen.  I'll take my chances and look for the opportunity to either start the next inning with a free out, or look for the opportunity to do it the next rotation of the order, where I still may get the shot to skip his at bat.   I'll take my chances that if no one noticed the first time around, they won't notice before next inning, and may not even notice by the next time through the order.

9 hours ago, Mudder said:

Bruce was the third out after the appeal, but looks like the ump pointed and called Cabrera out?

It does look like that. But maybe he was pointing that Cabrera batted out of turn and we have an out on the proper batter, Bruce, who appears in the video with the ump appearing to nod that , yes, you are out. The scorekeepers  got it right and the right batter led off the next inning so who was out must have been properly communicated to all that mattered, except @johnnyg08:P

• Haha 1

If you have MLB.TV, go watch the game (NYM@CIN 5/9) from the beginning through the T-2nd with each of the team's feeds.  It is hilarious listening to the commentators trying to figure out what is going on.  

As always, I don't understand why at least a few of these professionals don't make the effort to learn the rules of the game they broadcast.  

3 hours ago, Larry in TN said:

If you have MLB.TV, go watch the game (NYM@CIN 5/9) from the beginning through the T-2nd with each of the team's feeds.  It is hilarious listening to the commentators trying to figure out what is going on.  

As always, I don't understand why at least a few of these professionals don't make the effort to learn the rules of the game they broadcast.  

It is hilarious. But I wonder if Morales and crew ever made it clear who was out. Bruce was ready to lead off in the T2 and looked confused in the dugout when someone told him he wasn't batting, Gonzalez was due up. Riggleman comes out after Gonzalez gets a single and then it appears the crew explains that Bruce was out for MYTAB in the previous inning. I don't know who told Bruce he wasn't batting but it would be a sticky wicket if the crew told him he wasn't due up. Normally you wouldn't correct the batting order but since they might not have made it clear who was out it might be acceptable to tell the on-deck he made the third out in the previous inning. Or should the teams know that when you point that a player batted out of order the out you signal is for the proper batter who MYTAB'd and it's up to them to figure out their next proper batter.

4 hours ago, Larry in TN said:

It's a bit ironic this would happen in Cincinnati and play that way on air, as CIN broadcaster Chris Welsh runs the paysite Baseball Rules Academy. https://baseballrulesacademy.com/

Just goes to show you, even as rules people, it's important to stay in the books day in and day out.

• Like 1