Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
clasonater

Awkward daddy ball situation. Need Advice

23 minutes ago, udbrky said:

Never turn your back on the ball. And why would you turn to walk away from a pickoff play? Just back up to your spot.

In the specific instance being discussed, you are telling the teams that there is no more play and they need to get back to baseball and not whatever it is that they are doing.

• Like 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
3 hours ago, udbrky said:

Never turn your back on the ball. And why would you turn to walk away from a pickoff play? Just back up to your spot.

Because it's not a pickoff play. It was a pickoff play that has turned into shenanigans and tomfoolery. You'd be turning your back on nothing at all.

You’re missing the point.
  • Like 1

Now for the record I am not proud of this moment but it happened. 5 years ago I was umping my 5th and last game of the day on a 98 degree day so I was exhausted. It was a 14U game so was really hoping for a spread. First inning kid walks, pickoff move to first safe and he just holds the glove on him. I keep waiting for him to throw back or the runner to climb up but nope. I give him a WTF look and he throws it back to pitcher. 2 pitches later same thing. Another dirty look and he throws it back. Next inning kid singles and here we go again, I say throw it back in a really PO voice and coach yells out Timmy you hold that tag. Nope this is not going to be my life for the next hour thirty. I say time walk over take the ball from the first baseman, walk to the pitcher and hand him the ball, walk back to B position and scream play ball. Now was I in the right no and after a shower, food and sleep I regretted it but sometimes you just snap and things get weird 

On 5/9/2018 at 1:09 PM, udbrky said:

It's so much quicker to just call time and put the ball back in play than to fight this imo. I do say to let them up as well. I've never had it go as long as you're describing.

i used to be a stickler about not calling time  - now I just do