How Would You Handle This?

Mad Mike
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1904 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

10 hours ago, grayhawk said:

I have been told by a state interpreter that a forced runner who is called out for abandonment is a force out.  Not really covered in the definition, but that's what he said.

I don't think anyone wants to allow a run on this play, whether it scores before or after TOI. You can hang your hat on your state interpreter's notion; most of us can't.

4 hours ago, maven said:

I don't think anyone wants to allow a run on this play, whether it scores before or after TOI. You can hang your hat on your state interpreter's notion; most of us can't.

I do feel that Fed considers an out on a forced runner to be a force out no matter the actual reason that he becomes out. They may not list every possible scenario in the definition, but I believe this is how they want it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

I do feel that Fed considers an out on a forced runner to be a force out no matter the actual reason that he becomes out. They may not list every possible scenario in the definition, but I believe this is how they want it.

I dunno: if that's what they wanted, it's a lot easier than a list of every possible scenario. Just say a force out is any out made by a runner who is forced to advance....

1 minute ago, maven said:

I dunno: if that's what they wanted, it's a lot easier than a list of every possible scenario. Just say a force out is any out made by a runner who is forced to advance....

I agree, but Fed doesn't always (rarely?) do what's easy.

• 8 months later...
On 5/8/2018 at 6:27 PM, Jimurray said:

Before I put my thinking cap on I’m looking for an easy out. How could R3 score before the TOI which was not when it was called. It was when it happened. 

Easy - R3 goes on contact, R2 forgets there are two out and tags up on the high fly ball, then realizing his mistake leaves for third, allowing R3 to score before the INT occurs.

Forced runner making third out before reaching forced base should nullify run, no matter how he gets out.   Otherwise, just run off baseline (or run to the dugout) to turn a would be force into a time play.

Sorry - I'm a little bored today - reading old posts.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:18 PM, Mad Mike said:

How would you handle this?

NFHS

Bases Loaded, 2 outs, high pop fly to short-stop. Runners going on contact. R2 clips shortstop. Umpire rules interference; however, R3 had crossed plate before interference was called. 

I have a group that is giving different answers: Timing Play (score the run), R2 forced to advance and interferes (thus treat as force out on the interfering runner) no run scores, or no run can score on interference-ball is dead--call interfering runner out, inning over with no runs scoring. If there were less than 2 out, return all runners TOP--call interfering runner out, BR goes to first.

What is the best rule reference for this situation?

The call should have been made immediately per FED rules. What should have happened is "Dead ball, that's interference, runner's out!" Don't score the run.