Base runners

Guest Mike
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2148 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

6 answers to this question

Not automatically, but usually.  When a runner is stuck with a batted ball, the default is that he's out.  The exceptions are as follows:

If the batted ball goes "through or by" a fielder who is making a play and then the ball strikes the runner behind him, the ball is live and play the bounce.
If a batted ball is deflected by a fielder and then strikes the runner, the ball is live and play the bounce unless the runner intentionally got hit.
If the "live ball" is a thrown ball, then the runner is only out if he intentionally gets hit.

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

Not automatically, but usually.  When a runner is stuck with a batted ball, the default is that he's out.  The exceptions are as follows:

If the batted ball goes "through or by" a fielder who is making a play and then the ball strikes the runner behind him, the ball is live and play the bounce.
If a batted ball is deflected by a fielder and then strikes the runner, the ball is live and play the bounce unless the runner intentionally got hit.
If the "live ball" is a thrown ball, then the runner is only out if he intentionally gets hit.

“Through or by” also has an exception if another infielder had a play on the ball. 

On 5/9/2018 at 10:30 AM, beerguy55 said:

See Fizzbinn (nerd alert)

I was the reigning Fizzbinn champion among my circle of friends in college. In fact, I am the only Fizzbinn player that I know of to have ever recorded a half kronk in consecutive deals.

• Like 1