Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
JaxRolo

Pithcer wearing sunglasses

I know they can wear them.

But I'm trying to find a rule reference..

Thanks

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

A rule reference that says it's ok? There's no rule reference that says they can wear orange shirts, but since it's not prohibited, it's allowed. Same with sunglasses - unless you deem it distracting, which does have an explicit rules reference, then it's fine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

doesn't the rule set matter?  

IIRC, LL and maybe Fed have some rule on them, I know my son wore prescription goggles to play that were transition lenses, he/I were asked multiple times by PUs if they were prescription (allowed) vs. non-corrective.  I would joke with the PU that if he made him take them off, then the mask and chest protector of the PU might get a bigger work out than he'd like, usually at least got a smile.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, stkjock said:

No. Same in all codes (most do not mention sunglasses but do mention distracting items on F1).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaxRolo said:

I know they can wear them.

But I'm trying to find a rule reference..

Thanks

Remember, if it doesn't say they can't, they can. This is still one of those big myths out there about prescription vs nonprescription. Just allow it and tell them to move on. Unless they're the shiny, mirrored ones, they're not distracting. 

• Like 2

Just now, johnnyg08 said:

Remember, if it doesn't say they can't, they can. 

gotcha!

Found the following online announcement from the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association:

February 18, 2013

Q:  Can a pitcher wear sunglasses that are prescription?

A:  There is no NFHS rule or WIAA rule preventing sunglasses, whether prescription or not, being worn by players including pitchers. Anyone may wear sunglasses.  If they reflect, however, the umpire may request some adjustments.

8 hours ago, stkjock said:

IIRC, LL and maybe Fed have some rule on them, I know my son wore prescription goggles to play that were transition lenses, he/I were asked multiple times by PUs if they were prescription (allowed) vs. non-corrective.  I would joke with the PU that if he made him take them off, then the mask and chest protector of the PU might get a bigger work out than he'd like, usually at least got a smile.

The umpire was wrong. There is no prohibition in LL.

There is a recommendation that parents get their kids safety glasses.

Coach, they are prescription sunglasses, are you sure you want them removed?? :cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

understood, his were polycarb safety lenses 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 3:38 PM, Rich Ives said:

To play baseball?

1 hour ago, zoops said:

To play baseball?

Sure, makes complete sense. Most sport sunglasses / shields are not only shatter-resistant polycarbonate, but they are oversized enough to protect the eye and orbital from a ball impact. At those younger ages, the facial bones are still fairly pliable, so as a parent, I’d rather have bruising than a damaged eye or orbital. 

Also, when you take into account the number of times kids turn their heads away because they don’t want anything hitting their eyes, you begin to realize what a training aide a basic set of “stylish” safety glasses can be. We’re not talking the goggles of middle school biology class, nor the big cheap safety glasses of shop class (not that those wouldn’t work), but sport-shield style safety glasses are available – in junior sizes – at most Home Depot’s or Lowe’s, and cost a heckuva lot less than Oakley’s and Ray-Bans.

Heck, _I_ should have brought my gasketed shop glasses with me on a Varsity baseball game I did two weeks ago. Twilight game, and as soon as the sun went down, the field was beset and overwhelmed by a bug swarm of Biblical proportions. The middle infielders, R2, the F1 and I were covered with little green bugs – they were in our ears, on our necks, up our noses, and I got one in my eye that burned with the intensity of mustard gas. I flushed my eye, and had to finish the game with my sunglasses on, kicking myself for not having my safety glasses – which I use for furniture work and shooting – in the car.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 6:29 PM, MadMax said:

The middle infielders, R2, the F1 and I were covered with little green bugs – they were in our ears, on our necks, up our noses, and I got one in my eye that burned with the intensity of mustard gas.

Oh god! I remember those damn things from my time in Los Angeles!

I'll take the swarms of mosquitos and what not that we get up here over those damn bugs any day!

• Like 1