Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Jimurray

Chairs and buckets ok. But no beer coolers or bbq.

Saw a Facebook post about umpires allowing this in a less than D1 college game. It seems pretty common in JUCO. But imagine my surprise to see this tonite with FS Clemson. 

8A8E08B4-16C2-4D63-8E1E-DC8A72B7472C.jpeg

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Never worked at Clemson’s field, we have a couple on here that have I believe. There is a white line for DBT in front of those in the chairs, also on 3rd base side. Guessing they have labeled that whole area as the dugout (not an extension as that goes against the rules). So if that’s the ground rules then they are properly “in the dugout” 

Won’t say I’m particularly in favor of where they are. 

You can clearly see the white dead ball line in front of the players sitting on the chairs. That area is dead.

It has been questioned by regional umpires in the past and the NCAA has approved it as a dead ball area.

Ok, put  a white line down anywhere. I'm good. I've seen it at lower levels a lot without the white line and just dirt. It's just catch and carry or another dead ball waiting to happen or non game personnel interference. How  can MLB and MiLB managers do their jobs confine to the effin dugout? I have seen beer coolers at INDY games.

32 minutes ago, MidAmUmp said:

You can clearly see the white dead ball line in front of the players sitting on the chairs. That area is dead.

It has been questioned by regional umpires in the past and the NCAA has approved it as a dead ball area.

But is it a dugout where players or coaches are allowed to sit? It could be a media dead ball area.

15 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

But is it a dugout where players or coaches are allowed to sit? It could be a media dead ball area.

I've never been there, but know several guys who've worked post-season there. They have asked for clarification and the NCAA says it is okay for players & coaches to sit in that area. You can google the stadium and see several photos of how the area is marked clearly as dead & cameras, ball girls, players and coaches are in that area.

Not saying I agree or disagree, just that the NCAA says it's a legal portion of the dugout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haid D' Salaami said:

Its dead ball area, its fine they sit in there. It's just like an opening of a dugout somewhere else down the line.

Even though NCAA added the player prohibition last year:

b. If a facility has limited dugout space and it is necessary for personnel to be outside of the dugout, a clearly visible out-of-bounds line should be added at both bench areas to identify the dead-ball area. All personnel shall remain in this area until the ball has been declared dead. No extensions to dugouts will be allowed on the home plate side of either dugout. No extra on-deck hitters may swing bats in any extension. Any dead-ball area on the home plate side of any dugout that is used for ball persons is not to be used by any uniformed player. “

A few years ago I tried to enforce the no on deck hitters in the dead ball extension and wasn't supported by my partner. 

Made me look like an idiot. 

I stopped trying to enforce it. When in Rome I guess.

14 hours ago, eagle_12 said:

Never worked at Clemson’s field, we have a couple on here that have I believe. There is a white line for DBT in front of those in the chairs, also on 3rd base side. Guessing they have labeled that whole area as the dugout (not an extension as that goes against the rules). So if that’s the ground rules then they are properly “in the dugout” 

Won’t say I’m particularly in favor of where they are. 

From the Goggle Earth overhead it appears that that area would be an adjustment with NCAA guidance to have the center of the dugout space closer to the 45' line. Extending the dugout fence would be appropriate also to prevent unnecessary dead balls. 

Surprised this is deemed legal since it seems it is an extension on the home plate side. 

On 6/11/2018 at 9:39 PM, zm1283 said:

Surprised this is deemed legal since it seems it is an extension on the home plate side. 

It appears this rule change will allow the area for shaggers but not the rest. Time for a little construction at the Clemson stadium. Make it part of the real dugout.

"1.16b To prohibit uniformed team personnel, coaches and extra on-deck hitters from standing or sitting in the dugout extension area or dead-ball area on the home plate side of the dugout during play. Rationale To enhance the safety of bat/ball persons who are supposed to be in this area by restricting coaches and team personnel from entering these areas to observe the game."