Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Majordave

Dumped a HS Coach for Arguing Balls and Strikes-Did NOT Work Out As Well As I'd Hoped

Be careful what you wish for.  I dumped a HS head coach last week at the end of Inning #2 for arguing balls and strikes from the dugout.  His team was down 8-0.  Unfortunately, I had no choice, when I warned him he told me I didn't have the balls to eject him. I did.

His team and their fans awoke from the dead and my 1:30 sure thing run rule game turned into a 3.5 hour ordeal after losing team caught fire scored 4 in the third and several more in the 4th and 5th including a monster 400 foot plus bomb over left center fence to almost tie the game at 10-9.  Then home team lit it up (or losing team lost it's mojo-either way) and home team scores 9 in bottom sixth to win 19-9.  No good deed goes unpunished.  I wish I could take it back.  In retrospect I should have let his arguing go and used it as an opportunity to give him some SH*# for poor coaching.  Somehow I think that wouldn't have worked out too well either.  I hate doing ejection reports. Sigh!

• Like 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Sounds like the coach got what he wanted. Sometimes I feel it's better to say..."No way Bill, I'm not letting you off that easy. If I have to suffer through this game, so do YOU"

• Like 1

@blue23ll  Thanks. I have used a similar line in the past.  Years ago a college coach in Indiana came out on me in the field after his team was down 19-0 in the middle of the 5th inning of a 9 inning game.  He came out, threw his hat, kicked it and told me I was cheating his "kids" after I signaled and called out "YES, he did!" on a check swing appeal from my partner for the third out of his team's at bat that inning.  (I'm sure the collegiate players didn't like being called "kids")  I walked all the way out to the scoreboard in right center with him following me and complaining all they way.  I turned and told him; "Jim, I don't care what you say to me or do, I am not dumping you this game."  I also added "We have four more innings of this left to go. You have to find another way to fire up your team.  You gave birth to this ugly baby of a game, you'll have to stay here and watch it die just like I do."

He just walked away.  Never said another word.  Final score 26-0.  Gotta love NCAA baseball with no run rules.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Majordave said:

@blue23ll  Thanks. I have used a similar line in the past.  Years ago a college coach in Indiana came out on me in the field after his team was down 19-0 in the middle of the 5th inning of a 9 inning game.  He came out, threw his hat, kicked it and told me I was cheating his "kids" after I signaled and called out "YES, he did!" on a check swing appeal from my partner for the third out of his team's at bat that inning.  (I'm sure the collegiate players didn't like being called "kids")  I walked all the way out to the scoreboard in right center with him following me and complaining all they way.  I turned and told him; "Jim, I don't care what you say to me or do, I am not dumping you this game."  I also added "We have four more innings of this left to go. You have to find another way to fire up your team.  You gave birth to this ugly baby of a game, you'll have to stay here and watch it die just like I do."

He just walked away.  Never said another word.  Final score 26-0.  Gotta love NCAA baseball with no run rules.

Both coaches can agree to 10 after 7. Never have seen it. Does any conference have it?

2 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Both coaches can agree to 10 after 7. Never have seen it. Does any conference have it?

UAA which is D3 has it mandated for conference games. Coaches don't have a choice.

On 5/8/2018 at 11:11 AM, Jimurray said:

Every conference I work has it.

On 5/8/2018 at 12:11 PM, Jimurray said:

Not sure this is true.

I was working a D3 game that had VT ahead by 12 runs. After bottom 7, both teams start walking off as if it is over, when the assistant AD comes out of the press box behind home plate and yells out to us that the run limit rule no longer applies in this conference and we have to play it out. Game ends after 9 full innings, a full 45 minutes later, with the VT winning by 13 runs. Did I mention it was 37 degrees with a 30 mph wind, with a 23 degree windchill? And that we had another 9-inning game to go after this? And that this 2nd game was won by the VT by 8 runs?

Ugh.

But my point in posting this is that I'm not sure the coaches can agree to a run limit if it's not in the conference rules. Maybe if the AD isn't there!  lol

44 minutes ago, jms1425 said:

Not sure this is true.

I was working a D3 game that had VT ahead by 12 runs. After bottom 7, both teams start walking off as if it is over, when the assistant AD comes out of the press box behind home plate and yells out to us that the run limit rule no longer applies in this conference and we have to play it out. Game ends after 9 full innings, a full 45 minutes later, with the VT winning by 13 runs. Did I mention it was 37 degrees with a 30 mph wind, with a 23 degree windchill? And that we had another 9-inning game to go after this? And that this 2nd game was won by the VT by 8 runs?

Ugh.

But my point in posting this is that I'm not sure the coaches can agree to a run limit if it's not in the conference rules. Maybe if the AD isn't there!  lol

Beats me?

“4) By conference rule, or mutual consent of both coaches before the
beginning of the contest, a game may be stopped after seven innings if one
team is ahead by at least 10 runs. “

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:37 PM, Jimurray said:

... before the beginning of the contest ...

This is the part that was lacking in my situation. I would feel like an ass if during the plate meeting I were to ask, "So, do you guys want to have a run rule?" It implies you expect one of them to blow the other out. I wish the rule omitted that one little phrase - then, if it came to it, we could end the game if they both agreed.

Oh well.....