Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Gil

Case Play 2018-3 - No Strike, No Balk, No Steal

Prior to his ejection of John Gibbons Sunday in Tampa Bay, HP Umpire Jeremie Rehak officiated a deceptively complicated stolen base attempt of home plate, as Blue Jays catcher Luke Maile caught Rays baserunner R3 Mallex Smith stealing in front of batter CJ Cron to end the Rays' 3rd inning. Which...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I've got a balk on F1 lifting his pivot foot. But in the spirit of the debate as you said on your site, let's assume the delivery was legal. In that case, I have OBS on F2.

4 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

I've got a balk on F1 lifting his pivot foot. But in the spirit of the debate as you said on your site, let's assume the delivery was legal. In that case, I have OBS on F2.

Here, I'm treating the lifted pivot as "too technical." Pass on the balk.

For OBS, that would have to mean F2 obstructed R3. But he had the ball, and just before that was fielding the throw. That seems legal under OBR's collision rule.

Perhaps you mean catcher's INT? That is difficult to dispute. I'll be interested to see whether MLB provides any guidance on that (he noted doubtfully and somewhat tongue-in-cheek-ily).

1 hour ago, ElkOil said:

A lot of pitchers lift their pivot foot in the windup to reposition from perpendicular to parallel. Was this a one off move or does he windup like that all the time? It's not OBS it's CI.

1 hour ago, maven said:

Perhaps you mean catcher's INT? 

46 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

It's not OBS it's CI.

Yup and yup. Working and typing at the same time.

I had wondered when i was watching this live if that was CI.

If CJ Cron swings there, problem solved - it's CI....you may have a league wide funeral today for Maille if that happened, but that's another discussion.

Looking at the rule, and Maille's action, he didn't step "in front" of the plate - although I guess we need to know what that means.  His left foot was behind the plate...his right foot was in the others batter's box - it did cross the plane of the plate before he caught the pitch, but he wasn't in front of the plate.

It should have been strike three too (provided no CI)

At least Bucknor wasn't behind the plate for this one - impossible to imagine what he would have guessed at.

• Haha 1