2-man PU Rotation Sitch

zoops
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2151 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

R3, R1, 2 outs.  NCAA game.  2-man crew, I'm PU.  Sharp ground ball hit to SS, which is booted and rolls about 10 feet into the outfield grass.  R1 makes an attempt for third base, while the SS hustles after the ball and makes a throw to third, resulting in a very close play.  Upon seeing the ball get away from the SS, I rotated to third base as fast as I could while also trying to watch the touch of home.  Got into pretty decent position about 8-10 feet from the bag right along the foul line, although I didn't have much time to get set.  Just curious on any feedback on the rotation aspect of this play or if it would have been better to let the BU take it.  

54 minutes ago, zoops said:

R3, R1, 2 outs.  NCAA game.  2-man crew, I'm PU.  Sharp ground ball hit to SS, which is booted and rolls about 10 feet into the outfield grass.  R1 makes an attempt for third base, while the SS hustles after the ball and makes a throw to third, resulting in a very close play.  Upon seeing the ball get away from the SS, I rotated to third base as fast as I could while also trying to watch the touch of home.  Got into pretty decent position about 8-10 feet from the bag right along the foul line, although I didn't have much time to get set.  Just curious on any feedback on the rotation aspect of this play or if it would have been better to let the BU take it.  

Sounds pretty text book to me. Were there any problems with your partner, or were you able to make the call okay?

It depends on whether you read this as a "base hit to the outfield" or a "batted ball that stays in the infield" -- and you and your partner need to read it / communicate it the same way.

I think, generally, if F6 (or, I suppose, F5 or F4) had time to get to the ball, treat it as if it were in the infield.  If F7 gets it, then treat is as the outfield.

• Like 1

IMO because you say it was booted by F6, I would not treat hit as clean to the outfield and this as PU I am staying home.  Play was on the infield and BU has the call.

On 5/6/2018 at 11:15 PM, Matt said:

Disagree. In CCA on a ground ball with R3 and R1, PU's primary responsibility is to be in position for overthrows. There should be no way you can get to 3B because you stay home and don't go to the library.

Here is your answer you are looking for. If you were being evaluated, this would probably have been brought up.

• Like 1