Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Richvee

A plea to all umpires (especially my partners)

6 hours ago, Catch18 said:

Please stop giving the count as BU, unless asked for correction by partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitcher (behind the mound, rubbing the baseball, while looking at me (the base umpire)): "Blue, what's the count?"

Me (leaning to my right to see past the pitcher to my partner): "Jim, what's the count?"

Jim:  "Two and Two."

Me (looking at pitcher again):  "Two and Two."

Pitcher:  "Thanks, blue."

• Like 3

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

You absolutely know that’s not the situation I mean. But good try.

4 hours ago, taa71458 said:

I will signal back (non-verbally) occasionally to keep myself engaged, especially in deep counts with multiple foul balls/pick offs.

It's customary here to only signal back when it's 3-2, and only once.

• Like 1

I have worked with a guy here who will show the count damn near every pitch as BU until I am trying to ask him the count, and then, he's staring at me like I'm speaking Polish and I have to ask him 3 times what the count is.

On 5/9/2018 at 10:33 AM, KenBAZ said:

We don't umpire the obvious.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I call them “Captain Obvious” calls. 

D1D5A49B-A425-4CE2-923D-5AABE7E464F0.gif

And I would have thought calling time for everything, all the time, like in a rec league slow pitch softball game, would be at the top of the list.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 7:50 AM, Catch18 said:

Please stop giving the count as BU, unless asked for correction by partner.

We have a guy in our area who is a really good old school guy that's worked pretty much anything that amateur umpire would like to put on their resume. I worked with him this spring and asked him why he gave the count visually and verbally while working the bases. 

He does the same for outs.

The only people that seem to mind that he does this is other umpires.

One of his idiosyncrasies. He has several. He is a very popular umpire even though younger guys now like to take shots at him he's lost a step or two and in his mid-70s and no it's not me.

He gave me a pretty interesting answer. Indicating that he rarely loses track of the count. Maybe a handful of times in the last 10 years.

I would be interested to see how many mute base umpires can honestly say even with an indicator they have that type of track record?

On 5/11/2018 at 4:09 PM, Catch18 said:

You absolutely know that’s not the situation I mean. But good try.

I don't know to whom you were making this post, but if it was me you are absolutely wrong as the situation I posted was exactly what I thought you meant.

48 minutes ago, lawump said:

I don't know to whom you were making this post, but if it was me you are absolutely wrong as the situation I posted was exactly what I thought you meant.

FWIW, I have used the same technique as Lawump, or just flatly told the player to "ask him" -- and point at PU.

On 5/8/2018 at 12:09 PM, Minnz said:

Add to the list anyone who ever says "dead ball." Of course when that is said we must take our hats off and pay our respects for a moment.

At least ten times per season I would have this exchange with whatever parent was running Gamechanger that game.

Batter fouls pitch off foot

Umpire yells "Dead Ball"

Scorekeeper parent: Hey, there's no "dead ball" in Game Changer

Me: Foul ball

Scorekeeper: He didn't say that, he said "dead ball"

Me: *imagine how one reacts when they miss a six inch putt*

• Haha 3

Indeed. In a game involving military teams/ROTC/Boy Scouts, I would tell the band to play "Taps" for the baseball, every time one of my partners call "Dead Ball" ;). Hearing that a few times would teach my partners to stop saying "Dead Ball" on a stoppage of play.

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2018 at 7:41 PM, Richvee said:

You'r right. I added it. It's in the same vein for sure.  Somehow, the "catch" thing is bugging me more. I've had guys this year, apparently not happy with me saying nothing on cans of corn to CF while I'm in "B" or "C", that they are taking it upon themselves to yell out CATCH!!! on my fly outs. :confused:

Nothing pisses me off more than guys who steal my calls. Don't take my calls, I hate the guys who blast off foul when the ball is in the dirt or hits the batter in the box, I've got it.