A plea to all umpires (especially my partners)

Richvee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1827 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

:ranton:PLEASE!!!! Stop shouting "CATCH!!!!" at the top of your lungs on every caught can of corn, caught pop up to an infielder, etc. And stop yelling "FOUL!!!" when the ball slams off the backstop ot lines off the dugout fence.  It's climbing my list of personal pet peeves at light speed.  With no dive, no bobble, no collisions, everybody knows the ball was caught . If I busted in from "A" while you took the fly ball to CF/LF,  tell me,  in normal voice, "Rich, I got a catch", otherwise, unless there's any doubt about the validity of the catch...SHUT THE H%*L UP!!!!!:rantoff:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, boyinr said:

Please add calls of "foul" on balls that land on the softball field or hit the back stop in your rant.  

You'r right. I added it. It's in the same vein for sure.  Somehow, the "catch" thing is bugging me more. I've had guys this year, apparently not happy with me saying nothing on cans of corn to CF while I'm in "B" or "C", that they are taking it upon themselves to yell out CATCH!!! on my fly outs. :confused:

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Richvee said:

You'r right. I added it. It's in the same vein for sure.  Somehow, the "catch" thing is bugging me more. I've had guys this year, apparently not happy with me saying nothing on cans of corn to CF while I'm in "B" or "C", that they are taking it upon themselves to yell out CATCH!!! on my fly outs. :confused:

I know it’s tempting but when your partner does that to you in a game do not turn around and yell back “no sht”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've had a couple partners that want me to do it, so they know when they have tags. I don't understand how they can see when it was caught for the tag, if I have to make sure it's securely held, or in a bobbled ball, but they're also not the greatest umpires. I probably say it more than I should.

Fouls, I am instinctively reaching for a new ball, thanks to @lawump's amazing post last year.

• Like 1

Add on the ones that are calling it foul before it touches anything or has been touched.... If it is far enough foul to call it foul with it still moving... EVERYONE ON THE CAMPUS knows it is foul.

• Like 1

Personally, I throw the new ball in as PU, and just say "that's foul" in a conversational tone of voice on obvious foul balls, with no signal. As BU, I do nothing, maybe a silent time signal to kill play, if it is in my area of responsibility. On obvious catches, I give the "out" signal without saying anything. If my partner needs to see tags, he can see my signal. If there was a running catch, or a trouble play, I give a loud verbal "That's a catch!" or "No catch!" as appropriate, with the proper signal.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:22 AM, udbrky said:

I've had a couple partners that want me to do it, so they know when they have tags. I don't understand how they can see when it was caught for the tag, if I have to make sure it's securely held, or in a bobbled ball, but they're also not the greatest umpires. I probably say it more than I should.

Fouls, I am instinctively reaching for a new ball, thanks to @lawump's amazing post last year.

Where can I find this?

Add to the list anyone who ever says "dead ball." Of course when that is said we must take our hats off and pay our respects for a moment.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Minnz said:

Add to the list anyone who ever says "dead ball." Of course when that is said we must take our hats off and pay our respects for a moment.

I had a partner keep saying "dead ball" all night last week.  I was good, but I wanted to do it so badly!

As for "foul ball" I try to only say it loudly when it's close.  It's like yelling "OUT!" when the kid is only half-way down the baseline.   We all knew he's out.  I try to make a verbal call only when partner's back is to the play or when it's bang-bang close.

23 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I had a partner keep saying "dead ball" all night last week.  I was good, but I wanted to do it so badly!

As for "foul ball" I try to only say it loudly when it's close.  It's like yelling "OUT!" when the kid is only half-way down the baseline.   We all knew he's out.  I try to make a verbal call only when partner's back is to the play or when it's bang-bang close.

Congratulations on not calling dead ball but the “foul” call should not have “ ball” added to it:D

• Like 1

Had a guy in my area that used to do all of that. Lol

Rest his soul, he passed away 4 or 5 years ago now. Miss working with him cause he was an AWESOME guy! And one thing I could ALWAYS say about him... he probably was the guy that cared the most for every game we worked or watched.

As mentioned, I can't see a reason for the PU to want a loud "Catch" call so he can "time" the tag up. He shouldn't be listening or looking to me. He needs to line the touch up with his tagging up runner.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Congratulations on not calling dead ball but the “foul” call should not have “ ball” added to it:D

But it just doesn't sound right yelling FOUL!   The two syllables roll off my tongue so much better! :)

11 hours ago, Richvee said:

As mentioned, I can't see a reason for the PU to want a loud "Catch" call so he can "time" the tag up. He shouldn't be listening or looking to me. He needs to line the touch up with his tagging up runner.

The biggest problem with using the verbal "catch" for the tag up is that the player is allowed to leave on first touch.  So by the time we make sure that all elements of the catch are there to verbalize/signal the catch the runner could legally be several steps off of the bag.  

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 10:22 AM, udbrky said:

I would not use that mechanic. Mainly because we don't need a catch for a legal retouch. 

4 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

I would not use that mechanic. Mainly because we don't need a catch for a legal retouch. 

I don't either. I'm always watching both, I might not be making the call on the catch, but I'm going to know if they left early.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:09 PM, Richvee said:

especially since "catch" is irrelevant when it comes to a tag up

2 hours ago, Catch18 said:

Please stop giving the count as BU, unless asked for correction by partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will signal back (non-verbally) occasionally to keep myself engaged, especially in deep counts with multiple foul balls/pick offs.