The rare 4-3 count

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2171 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 hour ago, ilyazhito said:

That doesn't make any sense, because aren't umpires supposed to say "Ball 4" and "Strike 3" to avoid situations like these, even when they don't otherwise use numbers?

The specifics used in MLB can vary from what is taught and what we should all use -- this isn't the first PU (and batter and catcher and ...) who has been led astray by the scoreboard.

4 hours ago, noumpere said:

The specifics used in MLB can vary from what is taught and what we should all use -- this isn't the first PU (and batter and catcher and ...) who has been led astray by the scoreboard.

"I don't need no effin indicator." Actually, after watching the sequence he does have an indicator that he looked at twice. I think he missed a click when he got busy swapping out the ball. Socia questioned at 3-2 with 2-2 on the board but no joy from the PU. Announcers suspected Kinsler knew the count but wanted to swing the bat.

On 5/4/2018 at 5:52 AM, ilyazhito said:

That doesn't make any sense, because aren't umpires supposed to say "Ball 4" and "Strike 3" to avoid situations like these, even when they don't otherwise use numbers?

And why would the umpire say "Ball 4" if he thinks there are only three balls?

That's why I always use numbers. If I forget to click my indicator, I might say "Ball one" twice, and then realize, no there are actually two balls, and then say the correct number "Ball two". By doing this, I have avoided missing counts most of the time. In the rare occasion that I am still confused about the count, I ask the scorekeeper. 

• Like 1