Catcher's forearm protection in minors

Guest PeterH
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2159 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest PeterH

I was thinking of having my 10 year old AAA catcher use some padded lycra forearm guards to help encourage him to block pitches. Wondering if there is any rule against this?

thanks,

Peter

14 answers to this question

What would ever lead you to believe that forearm guards would have a rule prohibiting their use?

Lately in our culture, we are putting an extraordinary amount of effort in bubble-wrapping our kids... and here you are doing just that, and someone is going to prohibit it?

No, there are no rules against this. Jewelry? Nope, can't wear it. Sweatbands and bracelets on the pitcher's arms? Nope, can't wear those either. But the other 8 field players – catcher included – knock yourself out.

Back in my day, we didn't have fancy-shmancy Evoshields and lycra-based shin guards (which is what I'm guessing you're going to use). Know what I used? An archer's leather forearm guard.

18 minutes ago, Guest PeterH said:

I was thinking of having my 10 year old AAA catcher use some padded lycra forearm guards to help encourage him to block pitches. Wondering if there is any rule against this?

thanks,

Peter

A tip I picked up long ago was to train with tennis balls because he won't get hurt. That'll get him used blocking balls pain-free. Then prepare him for baseballs. Getting hit with a baseball will hurt, yes, but sports -- like life -- comes with pain. And that, I think, is also an important lesson.

With all the armor ("armour"?) pros wear these days--they often look like they're preparing to joust!--I would not mock a 10 y/o wearing additional protection. No rule prohibits it, so do what works for you and your kids.

Some umpires wear padded sleeves, while others think it looks amateurish. Well, even though I'm paid (poorly), I am an amateur, so I wear these: 

MD651_41.png.7c94f1877c65d06ea8bf3a2472b548d9.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tborze said:

Wow, @LRZ you have an arm like a 20 yr old:blink:

Do you rip the sleeves off your umpire polos too?

Cause with arms like those I totally would.

3 minutes ago, stevis said:

Do you rip the sleeves off your umpire polos too?

Cause with arms like those I totally would.

I used to, but then I was asked to keep the sleeves on because none of the moms (youth games), older sisters (HS games), girlfriends (college games) could concentrate on the game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, LRZ said:

With all the armor ("armour"?) pros wear these days--they often look like they're preparing to joust!--I would not mock a 10 y/o wearing additional protection. No rule prohibits it, so do what works for you and your kids.

Some umpires wear padded sleeves, while others think it looks amateurish. Well, even though I'm paid (poorly), I am an amateur, so I wear these: 

OK. Y'all can joke about it all you want, but I'm about tired of taking forearm shots. Shut up and take my money. Where do I buy these???

On 5/2/2018 at 5:50 PM, ElkOil said:

A tip I picked up long ago was to train with tennis balls because he won't get hurt. That'll get him used blocking balls pain-free. Then prepare him for baseballs. Getting hit with a baseball will hurt, yes, but sports -- like life -- comes with pain. And that, I think, is also an important lesson.

They sell soft replica baseballs at Academy for 3.99 for a 2-pack. Love the tennis balls, what I used growing up, but love the replica balls even more.

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2018 at 7:02 PM, LRZ said:

I needed this last week. Took a shot directly off of my forearm. Catcher missed a fastball and it is still sore five days later.

I seriously needed my hockey chest protector last game...It was rough with the catchers, but pitchers were all over the place.