Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Aging_Arbiter

low profile umpire chest protector shirt

Was looking at the schutt info and saw this.  I am primarily doing lil' fella' ball this year (9-12).  Do y'all think this would be sufficient?   Just looking at trying something new and was considering a purchase.

https://www.schuttstore.com/low-profile-umpire-chest-protector-shirt.htmlCapture.PNG.3d366ef98e5dd115197e6a2a92211420.PNG

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Like my daddy said, “The lower the level you are doing the more you should put on!”

I give Schutt (and their production partner, Adams) props for trying to find uses for their supply of D3O, but this isn't the answer for (most) baseball. 10U and softball, tops. Their XV is already dramatically lightweight and well-ventilated enough to do any level and any environment, but even I've been guilty of trying out a DaviShield (gasp! I know! The shameful humanity!) just to try and cut down the wear-and-tear and broad-shouldered profile burdening my XV when I get bamboozled conscripted begged persuaded to do 10U or younger baseball (or softball... someone knock me out, now). Would I try this? Uhhh... sure. Would I pay for one? Probably not.

I think a better use for Schutt's D3O supply (if they, or @Majordave, are reading this) is to develop a line of D3O-padded thigh skins. Wouldn't even need (knee'd?) them to be shorts... just spandex-based sleeves that you tug on over/under your tights / shorts / sliders to lessen the impact on your thighs and upper legs.

If they have their heart set on a CP, then I know a whole market of umpires ( @Tksjewelry and @Umpirechick1 know them!) who'd really benefit from a CP designed for them. Seriously. With Wilson seemingly reeling from their removal from the "prized pedestal" in Major League Baseball, all these baseball gear companies are trying to find their place in the baseball landscape before UnderArmour rolls in next year and eclipses them all. So too, there is such a push for increased inclusion of women in officiating ranks – in all sports – but a severe, glaring lack of protective gear and uniforms even slightly sized for women.

I wouldn't pay money for that, buy a pillow instead. I pull the pillow out for all rec under 12 and softball.

Wait@madmax the ladies may have some more influence in a few months. We've begun to converge

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I might be mistaken, but I have to think that outfit would be very hot for late spring-summer ball. Like Tksjewelry, I too was going to suggest a balloon.

8 minutes ago, LRZ said:

I might be mistaken, but I have to think that outfit would be very hot for late spring-summer ball. Like Tksjewelry, I too was going to suggest a balloon.

Not at all, @LRZ... the protective material is D3O, an advanced type of TPU-EVA foam that Schutt is employing in their football helmets, football shoulder pads, and now in baseball helmets and umpire's CP's (the XV). I've got a photo of it here:
D3O_foam_diagram.jpg.2e427e5e0729b96276a0345f7e62a712.jpg

The business is that orange brick. It's not only porous, but has these big 9mm-10mm holes bored through it, increasing ventilation and not compromising protection. The MTS membrane it is bonded to is hydrophobic, so moisture is transported (wicked) off your skin away to evaporate. It's an incredibly effective system. Without ABS or Vinyl plates over the top of it, that moisture can evaporate very easily. Where CP's get hot is when that radiated heat and moisture is trapped by un-aerated solid ABS plates, backed by open-cell sofa cushion foam (WestVest! WesssstVessssst!).

Dare I say, this might be lightest and most breathable CP on the market. Just throw a shirt over it and away you go.

But would I wear it for anything older than 10 year olds? Nope. Even if that game was being played in Hell's Backyard...

... which we'll have right around June.

I wouldn't want to wear that as a CP - can't see it giving enough protection. I love my Champro hard-shell.  And, I wouldn't use the pillow either - and I work in GA in the summer heat - it's a bad look and I'd never hear the end of it.

Wore my All Star yesterday for the first time in probably 5 years. I forgot how light that thing is! Plus the bonus of the Delta Flex harness.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

Wore my All Star yesterday for the first time in probably 5 years. I forgot how light that thing is! Plus the bonus of the Delta Flex harness.

What have you been rocking?

1 hour ago, johnnyg08 said:

What all star?