low profile umpire chest protector shirt

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 697 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Was looking at the schutt info and saw this.  I am primarily doing lil' fella' ball this year (9-12).  Do y'all think this would be sufficient?   Just looking at trying something new and was considering a purchase.

https://www.schuttstore.com/low-profile-umpire-chest-protector-shirt.htmlCapture.PNG.3d366ef98e5dd115197e6a2a92211420.PNG

I give Schutt (and their production partner, Adams) props for trying to find uses for their supply of D3O, but this isn't the answer for (most) baseball. 10U and softball, tops. Their XV is already dramatically lightweight and well-ventilated enough to do any level and any environment, but even I've been guilty of trying out a DaviShield (gasp! I know! The shameful humanity!) just to try and cut down the wear-and-tear and broad-shouldered profile burdening my XV when I get bamboozled conscripted begged persuaded to do 10U or younger baseball (or softball... someone knock me out, now). Would I try this? Uhhh... sure. Would I pay for one? Probably not.

I think a better use for Schutt's D3O supply (if they, or @Majordave, are reading this) is to develop a line of D3O-padded thigh skins. Wouldn't even need (knee'd?) them to be shorts... just spandex-based sleeves that you tug on over/under your tights / shorts / sliders to lessen the impact on your thighs and upper legs.

If they have their heart set on a CP, then I know a whole market of umpires ( @Tksjewelry and @Umpirechick1 know them!) who'd really benefit from a CP designed for them. Seriously. With Wilson seemingly reeling from their removal from the "prized pedestal" in Major League Baseball, all these baseball gear companies are trying to find their place in the baseball landscape before UnderArmour rolls in next year and eclipses them all. So too, there is such a push for increased inclusion of women in officiating ranks – in all sports – but a severe, glaring lack of protective gear and uniforms even slightly sized for women.

I wouldn't pay money for that, buy a pillow instead. I pull the pillow out for all rec under 12 and softball.

Wait@madmax the ladies may have some more influence in a few months. We've begun to converge

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LRZ said:

I might be mistaken, but I have to think that outfit would be very hot for late spring-summer ball. Like Tksjewelry, I too was going to suggest a balloon.

Not at all, @LRZ... the protective material is D3O, an advanced type of TPU-EVA foam that Schutt is employing in their football helmets, football shoulder pads, and now in baseball helmets and umpire's CP's (the XV). I've got a photo of it here:
D3O_foam_diagram.jpg.2e427e5e0729b96276a0345f7e62a712.jpg

The business is that orange brick. It's not only porous, but has these big 9mm-10mm holes bored through it, increasing ventilation and not compromising protection. The MTS membrane it is bonded to is hydrophobic, so moisture is transported (wicked) off your skin away to evaporate. It's an incredibly effective system. Without ABS or Vinyl plates over the top of it, that moisture can evaporate very easily. Where CP's get hot is when that radiated heat and moisture is trapped by un-aerated solid ABS plates, backed by open-cell sofa cushion foam (WestVest! WesssstVessssst!).

Dare I say, this might be lightest and most breathable CP on the market. Just throw a shirt over it and away you go.

But would I wear it for anything older than 10 year olds? Nope. Even if that game was being played in Hell's Backyard...

... which we'll have right around June.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't want to wear that as a CP - can't see it giving enough protection. I love my Champro hard-shell.  And, I wouldn't use the pillow either - and I work in GA in the summer heat - it's a bad look and I'd never hear the end of it.

1 hour ago, johnnyg08 said:

Wore my All Star yesterday for the first time in probably 5 years. I forgot how light that thing is! Plus the bonus of the Delta Flex harness.

What all star?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

My partner was wearing one of these shirts for a Varsity game yesterday... I tried hinting that he might want more collarbone protection but he said he really liked it. It's probably gonna take a broken rib or collarbone for him to change his mind. Scary.

• Confused 2

50 minutes ago, Scissors said:

My partner was wearing one of these shirts for a Varsity game yesterday... I tried hinting that he might want more collarbone protection but he said he really liked it. It's probably gonna take a broken rib or collarbone for him to change his mind. Scary.

I hope your partner did not take any serious foul balls etc.

Damn...   Did he wear an old hockey mask, look like Jason?

On 4/28/2022 at 8:57 AM, Scissors said:

Awhile back I saw somebody posting about a guy doing a JUCO plate with a Pro-Nine CP that had the shoulder caps removed. Absolute lunacy...

On 4/28/2022 at 9:57 AM, Scissors said:

He must have a zero deductible ER visit rider in his health plan. I am sure I would not wear one of these shirts as a source of protection above machine pitch.