Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike

Double Play Broken up By Slide.. (2 Outs)

Question

Guest Mike

OBR 13-14

Runner on 1st 0 outs.

Ground ball to 6 who pitches to 4 who turn to throw to 3.  Runner slides into 2nd and makes contact with 4 and 'breaks up the double play.'  Umpire calls the Batter runner out as well due to interference.  I thought that was a FED call and not OBR.  Is this the same in both rule sets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
2 minutes ago, Guest Mike said:

OBR 13-14

Runner on 1st 0 outs.

Ground ball to 6 who pitches to 4 who turn to throw to 3.  Runner slides into 2nd and makes contact with 4 and 'breaks up the double play.'  Umpire calls the Batter runner out as well due to interference.  I thought that was a FED call and not OBR.  Is this the same in both rule sets?

The specifics of what is legal and illegal differ by code, but you can get two outs for a slide violation under each.  And, some youth leagues adopt the FED FPSR rule (or similar) even if much of the rest of the game is played by OBR rules.

You do not give enough of a description to judge whether the play was legal or illegal under any code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
  • 0
2 minutes ago, Guest Mike said:

OBR 13-14

Runner on 1st 0 outs.

Ground ball to 6 who pitches to 4 who turn to throw to 3.  Runner slides into 2nd and makes contact with 4 and 'breaks up the double play.'  Umpire calls the Batter runner out as well due to interference.  I thought that was a FED call and not OBR.  Is this the same in both rule sets?

The definitions/requirements for a legal slide are different. 

It is possible that your league has adopted the FED slide rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Guest Mike
3 minutes ago, noumpere said:

The specifics of what is legal and illegal differ by code, but you can get two outs for a slide violation under each.  And, some youth leagues adopt the FED FPSR rule (or similar) even if much of the rest of the game is played by OBR rules.

You do not give enough of a description to judge whether the play was legal or illegal under any code.

From my perspective, the slide was directly across the base and in no way out of character for a normal slide into second.  HE did indeed make contact with the runner and it did break up the dp.  Timing was also bang bang so I didn't see that as unusual either.  I guess my question is under OBR, can a runner legally break up a double play?  I believe under FED, you cannot.  If this isn't enough, please ask some leading questions and I'll try to fill in the missing information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Guest Mike said:

I guess my question is under OBR, can a runner legally break up a double play?  I believe under FED, you cannot.

You can "legally break up a double play" under both codes.

What did the umpire claim was illegal when you asked him / her?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Guest Mike
4 minutes ago, noumpere said:

You can "legally break up a double play" under both codes.

What did the umpire claim was illegal when you asked him / her?

Claimed that any contact by the runner was considered interference one he had been retired.  I'm not very familar with FED but I thought that I had read something to the effect in a FED manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Just now, Guest Mike said:

Claimed that any contact by the runner was considered interference one he had been retired.  I'm not very familar with FED but I thought that I had read something to the effect in a FED manual.

Contact by itself isn't illegal... it is where the contact took place. If it happened past the base or on either side of the base, then in FED that is interference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Guest Mike said:

Claimed that any contact by the runner was considered interference one he had been retired.  I'm not very familar with FED but I thought that I had read something to the effect in a FED manual.

OBR has the criteria for a bona fide slide, and intentionally initiating contact with the fielder could make it an illegal slide.  Simply making contact incidentally as a result of a bona fide slide is nothing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
26 minutes ago, Guest Mike said:

Claimed that any contact by the runner was considered interference one he had been retired.  I'm not very familar with FED but I thought that I had read something to the effect in a FED manual.

Well, that description is clearly wrong, under all codes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×