Balk or no Balk

UMPCourse
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2181 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Good the idiotators didn't omit the mandatory "get your money's worth."

That crew looked like a bunch of 8U umpires getting talked into and out of calls by coaches. Ugh. Not their best moment.

FWIW, F1 took an illegal step with the pivot, which clearly left the ground and returned. The fact that it didn't leave the footprint (did not gain distance and direction anywhere) is moot: AIUI, the crow-hop provision prohibits any step with the pivot during a pitch, not only one that moves F1 closer to the plate.

Mods should probably move this to the pro forum.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I have a balk.  But, i agree that if they didn't see it the first time (after the first meeting), it shouldn't be (re) called later.

(And, this is a pro game, but is posted in the collegiate section.)

Yes, I am aware of that. I am posting here to see what answers college umpires have, as if it happens in a college game I would like some reference/facts. If it is in wrong section apologies.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maven said:

Good the idiotators didn't omit the mandatory "get your money's worth."

That crew looked like a bunch of 8U umpires getting talked into and out of calls by coaches. Ugh. Not their best moment.

FWIW, F1 took an illegal step with the pivot, which clearly left the ground and returned. The fact that it didn't leave the footprint (did not gain distance and direction anywhere) is moot: AIUI, the crow-hop provision prohibits any step with the pivot during a pitch, not only one that moves F1 closer to the plate.

Obviously he probably pitched from the windup for 3 innings. If it was not called prior with no runners I would have a problem with it being called now. Or, maybe he only does that funky thing with R3? But using that rule interp when it was not a clear crow hop is a slippery slope:

"The pitcher may not take a second step toward home plate with
either foot or otherwise reset his pivot foot in his delivery of
the pitch. If there is a runner, or runners, on base it is a balk
under Rule 6.02(a); if the bases are unoccupied it is an illegal
pitch under Rule 6.02(b)."

8 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Obviously he probably pitched from the windup for 3 innings. If it was not called prior with no runners I would have a problem with it being called now. Or, maybe he only does that funky thing with R3? But using that rule interp when it was not a clear crow hop is a slippery slope:

"The pitcher may not take a second step toward home plate with
either foot or otherwise reset his pivot foot in his delivery of
the pitch. If there is a runner, or runners, on base it is a balk
under Rule 6.02(a); if the bases are unoccupied it is an illegal
pitch under Rule 6.02(b)."

That was only added before last season, right? Clip is from 2016

16 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Obviously he probably pitched from the windup for 3 innings. If it was not called prior with no runners I would have a problem with it being called now.

My assumption (yes, I know) was that this was a one-time reaction to R3 and F1 tried to cover it by continuing to pitch.