Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest Mike l.

Walk with bases loaded

Question

Guest Mike l.

A lefty batter is at bat bases are loaded no outs. Batter walks and before running to first he steps across plate towards 3rd base dugout and removes shin and elbow guards. Before he runs to first the runner from third crosses the plate. The runner then proceeds to first. Has the runner at third scoring passed the batter?

14 answers to this question

No, he wasn't passed.  I see why with a left handed batter it could be assumed that he was passed, because he "retreated" to take off his guards.  However, to me this is no different than if a right handed batter stays put to take his guards off and the runner scores.  When the runner from third legally scores, he is no longer a runner, and thus cannot "pass" anyone.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest NJ Coach

I think "spirit of the rule" comes into play here and B/R wasn't passed...but Wes...the OP says the runner hasn't yet scored at the time he passed the batter.

3 hours ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

I think "spirit of the rule" comes into play here and B/R wasn't passed...but Wes...the OP says the runner hasn't yet scored at the time he passed the batter.

He didn't "pass" the BR.  He was AHEAD of the BR by four bases. 

This is 100% nothing. I want to be in the stands with pop-corn and beverage for the $hit show that will ensue on the guy who calls this an out.

• Like 3

He has to pass a *preceding* runner. The BR isn't preceding.

5 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

He has to pass a *preceding* runner. The BR isn't preceding.

If two runners cross paths the trail runner is out even if he was stationery and the leading runner retreated and went past him.

3 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

If two runners cross paths the trail runner is out even if he was stationery and the leading runner retreated and went past him.

preceding not proceeding

R3 can NEVER pass B/R, nor R2 nor R1.

And B/R can not pass R3 by running from home directly to third base.

11 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

preceding not proceeding

11 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

preceding not proceeding

You misunderstand my comment. All I said was that the trail runner is the one that is out even if the preceding runner retreats back past him. 

R1. Batter puts ball safely in play. B-R rounds 1B and stops.  R1 has a brain cramp and retreats to 1B going past the B-R in the process.  B-R is out for passing the preceding runner (R1). 

R3 cannot be guilty of passing but he can cause any other runner to be called out for passing.

And why did your post get quoted twice?

18 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

"They don't play the game on paper."

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, noumpere said:

Nerd. :P

33 minutes ago, noumpere said:

M3k4.gif

Strat-O-Matic2.jpg

• Like 1

Guest NJ Coach

so what's the final answer ?  if following rules 100%, would the B/R (taking steps toward 3rd base dugout to remove gear) be out for getting passed since the R3 didn't score yet when passing ?

16 minutes ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

so what's the final answer ?  if following rules 100%, would the B/R (taking steps toward 3rd base dugout to remove gear) be out for getting passed since the R3 didn't score yet when passing ?

No. It is not possible to get an out by R3 for passing here.

"Passing a runner" is defined by rule as a trailing runner passing a runner in front of him. The BR is the last trailing runner, and no runner is trailing him. So, as a conceptual point, no other runner can be called out for passing the BR.

Also, R3 is not trailing any runner, because he's the lead runner (in front of all the other runners). Therefore, he cannot be guilty of passing a runner in front of him.

I would have thought all this was clear enough in the previous replies.

52 minutes ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

R3 can never be called out for passing BR...no runner can ever be called out for passing BR - BR is always the trailing runner, and you can only be called out for passing a lead runner (or for the lead runner retreating past the trailing runner - it's still the trailing runner who gets called out).  So, the only question is whether or not BR can be called out for passing R3.

The only way B/R could pass R3 would be to first pass R1 (at which point BR would be out), and then R2 (which would be moot).   Even with only R3 on base BR could only pass R3 by  acquiring 1st, 2nd and 3rd base before that (R3, being on third at TOP, can not legally run back to second).  Even if BR opted to run towards third base, pass R3 on the way, into left field, and then make his way to first base (he gets to choose his path - as long as he's not doing it to create confusion/travesty or avoid a tag) he would still not be called out for passing R3.  (he might be called out for other reasons, but not for passing R3)

If you're really begging for a ridiculous out here then it would be BR for retreating past home plate (which I think is only applicable when avoiding a tag).

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.