Steal/Tag up

Guest Lee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2179 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Baserunner on 1B.  He steals 2B while the Pitcher is on the rubber with the ball.  The Pitcher delivers the ball to Home plate.  The hitter flies out to Right field.  Does the runner on 2B have to go back to 1B?

14 answers to this question

NFHS Case Book play 2.28.3 Situation A:  R3 and R1 with no outs. F1 contacts the pitcher’s plate and assumes the set position stance. As he begins his stretch, R1 advances toward second base attempting to steal. F1 realizes R1 is stealing but he does not throw to second, fearing that R3 will break for home and score. F1 completes his stretch, coming to a pause with the ball in both hands in front of his body. R1 reaches second and rounds it, after which F1 delivers the ball to B3, who fouls a pitch into the stands. RULING:  R1 is allowed to remain on second because he was there prior to the time of the pitch. The definition of “time of the pitch” determines the base to which R1 is entitled.

For all three codes, the time of pitch for the set position “occurs the instant the pitcher, after coming to a complete and discernible stop, starts any movement of his arms or legs that commits him to pitch.” (FED rule 2-28-3)

3 hours ago, ElkOil said:

The accumulated knowledge and wisdom in your brain far exceeds that of 10 geniuses. I've been told you write all responses from memory.

Well done, indeed!

MOTO

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

Really?  Google "what does MOTO mean?" (without the quotes) and it's the first result.

Maybe "considerable" doesn't mean what I think it does. ;)

Unfortunately, that's not the case. The first result is an Urban Dictionary definition of "motivated" followed by a Japanese definition, followed by a definition for "motto," followed by one for "Master of the Obvious", followed by a definition in Punjabi (see the link using your search criteria below). So there's enough doubt in my mind relative to @umpstu's intention. I thought it best to ask so as not to misconstrue his meaning.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=eEPmWqSoM-bcjwTkwLmoBA&q=what+does+moto+mean&oq=what+does+moto+mean&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.17504.22042.0.22263.29.20.5.4.5.0.152.2088.11j9.20.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.29.2166...35i39k1j0i131k1j0i67k1j0i20i264k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1j0i131i20i264k1j0i20i263k1.0.S7ikfqgKEq4

2 hours ago, ElkOil said:

Unfortunately, that's not the case. The first result is an Urban Dictionary definition of "motivated" followed by a Japanese definition, followed by a definition for "motto," followed by one for "Master of the Obvious", followed by a definition in Punjabi (see the link using your search criteria below). So there's enough doubt in my mind relative to @umpstu's intention. I thought it best to ask so as not to misconstrue his meaning.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=eEPmWqSoM-bcjwTkwLmoBA&q=what+does+moto+mean&oq=what+does+moto+mean&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.17504.22042.0.22263.29.20.5.4.5.0.152.2088.11j9.20.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.29.2166...35i39k1j0i131k1j0i67k1j0i20i264k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1j0i131i20i264k1j0i20i263k1.0.S7ikfqgKEq4

I was poking fun at the rule paste you commented on.

3 hours ago, ElkOil said:

Unfortunately, that's not the case. @umpstu

Interesting.  We must get different results -- I do get different result if I search using "moto" vs. "MOTO" -- but , for me "what does MOTO mean?" still returns the definition / translation "Master of the Obvious"

I did find it interesting that "what does gullible mean?" returns an interesting result.  ;)

11 hours ago, noumpere said:

I did find it interesting that "what does gullible mean?" returns an interesting result. 

Darnit. I was really hoping this would do something cool in Google. Something akin to what "do a barrel roll" does.

On 4/27/2018 at 12:00 PM, maven said:

Yes, unless R1 touches 2B before F1 starts any motion to pitch. That's quite rare (I've never seen it at any level).

Here's one for you, just for kicks.  Not a tag up...foul ball instead - same principle.   I've seen the tag up scenario once, and the umps talked and got it right (DHC tried to appeal to first base to get the out)
What we don't know in this video is if the umpire got the rule wrong, or simply didn't notice R1 take second base.