Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
  • 0
Guest Lee

Steal/Tag up

Question

Guest Lee

Baserunner on 1B.  He steals 2B while the Pitcher is on the rubber with the ball.  The Pitcher delivers the ball to Home plate.  The hitter flies out to Right field.  Does the runner on 2B have to go back to 1B?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Yes, unless R1 touches 2B before F1 starts any motion to pitch. That's quite rare (I've never seen it at any level).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
  • 0

NFHS Case Book play 2.28.3 Situation A:  R3 and R1 with no outs. F1 contacts the pitcher’s plate and assumes the set position stance. As he begins his stretch, R1 advances toward second base attempting to steal. F1 realizes R1 is stealing but he does not throw to second, fearing that R3 will break for home and score. F1 completes his stretch, coming to a pause with the ball in both hands in front of his body. R1 reaches second and rounds it, after which F1 delivers the ball to B3, who fouls a pitch into the stands. RULING:  R1 is allowed to remain on second because he was there prior to the time of the pitch. The definition of “time of the pitch” determines the base to which R1 is entitled.

For all three codes, the time of pitch for the set position “occurs the instant the pitcher, after coming to a complete and discernible stop, starts any movement of his arms or legs that commits him to pitch.” (FED rule 2-28-3)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, ElkOil said:

The accumulated knowledge and wisdom in your brain far exceeds that of 10 geniuses. I've been told you write all responses from memory.

Well done, indeed!

MOTO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 4/27/2018 at 9:16 PM, umpstu said:

MOTO

Even after exercising my considerable Googling skills, I don't know what that means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, ElkOil said:

Even after exercising my considerable Googling skills, I don't know what that means.

Master Of The Obvious

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, ElkOil said:

Even after exercising my considerable Googling skills, I don't know what that means.

Really?  Google "what does MOTO mean?" (without the quotes) and it's the first result.

 

Maybe "considerable" doesn't mean what I think it does. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, noumpere said:

Really?  Google "what does MOTO mean?" (without the quotes) and it's the first result.

 

Maybe "considerable" doesn't mean what I think it does. ;)

Unfortunately, that's not the case. The first result is an Urban Dictionary definition of "motivated" followed by a Japanese definition, followed by a definition for "motto," followed by one for "Master of the Obvious", followed by a definition in Punjabi (see the link using your search criteria below). So there's enough doubt in my mind relative to @umpstu's intention. I thought it best to ask so as not to misconstrue his meaning.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=eEPmWqSoM-bcjwTkwLmoBA&q=what+does+moto+mean&oq=what+does+moto+mean&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.17504.22042.0.22263.29.20.5.4.5.0.152.2088.11j9.20.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.29.2166...35i39k1j0i131k1j0i67k1j0i20i264k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1j0i131i20i264k1j0i20i263k1.0.S7ikfqgKEq4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, ElkOil said:

Unfortunately, that's not the case. The first result is an Urban Dictionary definition of "motivated" followed by a Japanese definition, followed by a definition for "motto," followed by one for "Master of the Obvious", followed by a definition in Punjabi (see the link using your search criteria below). So there's enough doubt in my mind relative to @umpstu's intention. I thought it best to ask so as not to misconstrue his meaning.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=eEPmWqSoM-bcjwTkwLmoBA&q=what+does+moto+mean&oq=what+does+moto+mean&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.17504.22042.0.22263.29.20.5.4.5.0.152.2088.11j9.20.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.29.2166...35i39k1j0i131k1j0i67k1j0i20i264k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1j0i131i20i264k1j0i20i263k1.0.S7ikfqgKEq4

I was poking fun at the rule paste you commented on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, ElkOil said:

Unfortunately, that's not the case. @umpstu

 

Interesting.  We must get different results -- I do get different result if I search using "moto" vs. "MOTO" -- but , for me "what does MOTO mean?" still returns the definition / translation "Master of the Obvious"

 

I did find it interesting that "what does gullible mean?" returns an interesting result.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
11 hours ago, noumpere said:

I did find it interesting that "what does gullible mean?" returns an interesting result. 

Darnit. I was really hoping this would do something cool in Google. Something akin to what "do a barrel roll" does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
11 hours ago, noumpere said:

I did find it interesting that "what does gullible mean?" returns an interesting result.  ;)

You're right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 4/27/2018 at 12:00 PM, maven said:

Yes, unless R1 touches 2B before F1 starts any motion to pitch. That's quite rare (I've never seen it at any level).

Here's one for you, just for kicks.  Not a tag up...foul ball instead - same principle.   I've seen the tag up scenario once, and the umps talked and got it right (DHC tried to appeal to first base to get the out)
What we don't know in this video is if the umpire got the rule wrong, or simply didn't notice R1 take second base.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×