NFHS Pitching Stance

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2163 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Squared up three pitchers last night. It's only my third game this season.

I think it's going to be a long season. Hopefully my brethren are currently doing the same thing in their games. 

I've been keeping this in my back pocket. It seems to help clarify what I'm trying to fix. 

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

2018 NFHS Pitching Positions.pdf

40 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

I think it's going to be a long season. Hopefully my brethren are currently doing the same thing in their games. 

I've been keeping this in my back pocket. It seems to help clarify what I'm trying to fix. 

literally?

48 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

By "squared up" do you mean you turned an angled pitcher to the traditional wind up stance (upper right pic) or you moved the hybrid pitcher's free foot backward to a legal position in line with the rubber?

I've had to fix this a couple of times this season, but it's been better than in years past.  A simple, "move your left (right) foot back" is usually all it takes.  They KNOW this rule now and it's starting to sink in since it's being called more consistently (at least in our association).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

I've had to fix this a couple of times this season, but it's been better than in years past.  A simple, "move your left (right) foot back" is usually all it takes.  They KNOW this rule now and it's starting to sink in since it's being called more consistently (at least in our association).

And in your NCAA games have you had to "turn your shoulders more this way" at all?

3 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

And in your NCAA games have you had to "turn your shoulders more this way" at all?

Yes - I just tell them to square up.  No issues doing it this way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I called 11 hybrid violations this year.  10 were with no runners, one balked in a runner.  And I don't nitpick.  All of them were blatant.  In fact, I didn't even have any arguments.  In half, the coach said nothing.  In the other half, the coach either just asked for an explanation OR he yelled at his pitcher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1