Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
KoltOsuna

Umpiring while sick?

Question

This might sound crazy.

I have two games tomorrow and I just came down with a cold. Nose running, sore throat, nonstop sneezing. But I still really want to work that day. Has anyone ever umped a game while sick? How’d it go? Would there be any repercussions to me showing up clearly not feeling good to work the game? 

9 answers to this question

last year I had the stomach bug, but didn't come down with it till like an hour before the game ( too late to find a replacement). I called my partner and asked if he'd do the plate. I told the coaches at the meeting. long story short, we had to stop the game multiple times for me to run to the right field corner and throw up. not a good day. I did my best, but I was very sluggish. I didn't get any argument, probably because they felt sorry for me. It was just a like 12 hour bug- I called the next day and felt fine. 

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I think we all have soldiered through assigned games when we weren't 100%. That being said, its like having that way too sick co-worker at work all day, if your contagious,   try and get replaced.........  

• Like 1

Ditto on working with the stomach bug. Came down with it a couple hours before a JV game I was working solo. Slugged down about half a bottle of Pepto on the way to the field. Every time I busted out I thought I was going to crap myself. Fortunately it didn't happen. Not one of my better outings and I got some flack but we got the game in. 

If it's not too bad, sometimes you can take Dayquil and work through it.

However, unless not working the games means your car is going to get repossesed, your house will be foreclosed, your wife will leave you, and your children might starve, then just stay home.

Nobody wants to be around sick people. There's no glory in working games sick and possibly infecting other people.

6 minutes ago, JonnyCat said:

your car is going to get repossesed, your house will be foreclosed, your wife will leave you, and your children might starve, then just stay home.

"One of these things is not like the others ...."

3 hours ago, noumpere said:

"One of these things is not like the others ...."

Is that good or bad?

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:47 AM, JonnyCat said:

However, unless not working the games means your car is going to get repossesed, your house will be foreclosed, your wife will leave you, and your children might starve, then just stay home.

Sounds like the makings of a country song.............

• Like 1

I have been sick as a dog and have officiated sports.

If I was doing the plate, I would probably switch with the base umpire, but that is just me.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.