First throw from infield awarded bases

Mister B
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2163 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I'm behind the plate. First batter, no outs. Little League Majors. Both my parter and I are volunteers, but I'm the one who actually enjoys this and does read the rules, when I can. 

Ball hit to F4, who struggles with it, and throws to F3,  U1 has rotated in on the base hit on to the field. I'm following the runner up the line. I'm watching for pulled foot, etc. B/R hits the base and then the ball hits the glove of F3 and rolls into the dugout. While I didn't have a hard focus on it, I saw the runners foot hit 1B just before the ball left F4s hand. I immediately called time and awarded 2 bases from ToT. I will admit that I didn't remember that it is a ToP award for first throw the infield. But I believe that my award was correct based on the rule, because B/R had acquired first before the throw was made. I was asked to get help and U1 said that the B/R had touched 1B before the throw was made. So other than some slight confusion. I'm looking for some clarification, the rule doesn't talk about the deflection. Should that play into the ruling at all? I wouldn't say it was necessarily a wild throw as much as F3 being caught flat-footed and missing the catch. Is that something , or am I overthinking?

Second bizarre question,  (it's a 1 point game, so of course everything is questioned) Batter is set up with his toes on the line and during his load, his front foot/leg swings thru part of the strike zone. Defensive coach wants interference, but I've got nothing. Now if the pitch had hit him, I'd have a dead ball strike. But apart from making it difficult for the catcher, I've still got nothing. Am I wrong? 

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

On the first one, technically you got it right, but practically speaking a fielder generally doesn't throw the ball to 1B after the runner has already touched it.  Time slows down as the ball trickles toward the dugout and the runner is clearly well past first.  Maybe he did touch first before the throw, but chances are, he didn't.  If you never award the batter runner 3B on a ball thrown from the infield you'll be right 99.9% of the time.

2 hours ago, johnpatrick said:

On the first one, technically you got it right, but practically speaking a fielder generally doesn't throw the ball to 1B after the runner has already touched it.  Time slows down as the ball trickles toward the dugout and the runner is clearly well past first.  Maybe he did touch first before the throw, but chances are, he didn't.  If you never award the batter runner 3B on a ball thrown from the infield you'll be right 99.9% of the time.

+1

And the remaining 0.1% of the time, you'd still be right (if only from a game management perspective).