Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
LoneBlueStar

Interesting Plate Stance

Recommended Posts

Came across this plate stance tonight at one of our city's varsity games. The picture was taken prior to the pitch, just to be clear. I'm no expert by any stretch, but that stance just seems like a bad idea.

Thoughts?

20180424_203317.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I'm more interested in how his calls were, and if he's comfortable. If he's accurate, consistent and able to do it all game, he can knock himself out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

I'm more interested in how his calls were, and if he's comfortable. If he's accurate, consistent and able to do it all game, he can knock himself out.

Zone has been very consistent, isn't giving either team the inside corner or anything above the lower letters. 

I don't want my OP to come off as nit-picky, it just seems like that stance would have a great amount of stress on the knees and might make it difficult to get out of the way of the catcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

far be it from me to criticize, but how the heck does he see the outside corner?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He looks like John Tumpane, have to be young and limber for that stance!  I used one that looked like this one just one time but that was right after taking a shot in the nutty buddy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blue23ll said:

He looks like John Tumpane, have to be young and limber for that stance!  I used one that looked like this one just one time but that was right after taking a shot in the nutty buddy. 

The gentleman actually appears to be on the elderly side, but he moves better than me behind the plate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richvee said:

far be it from me to criticize, but how the heck does he see the outside corner?  

Maybe because he's so far back and up high? I dunno. When I first started, I set up pretty far back and had a hard time with the outside corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LoneBlueStar said:

Thoughts?

 

I wouldn't teach it and I wouldn't emulate it.

 

But, if it works for him, that's fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HE MUST HAVE FORGOTTEN HIS CUP.............(Not TOTALLY kidding , I did see something similar and was told they were protecting themselves.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2018 at 8:39 PM, LoneBlueStar said:

Came across this plate stance tonight at one of our city's varsity games. The picture was taken prior to the pitch, just to be clear. I'm no expert by any stretch, but that stance just seems like a bad idea.

Thoughts?

20180424_203317.jpg

It looks painful. Probably hasn't been trained. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×