Interesting Plate Stance

BlueRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2163 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

29 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

I'm more interested in how his calls were, and if he's comfortable. If he's accurate, consistent and able to do it all game, he can knock himself out.

Zone has been very consistent, isn't giving either team the inside corner or anything above the lower letters. 

I don't want my OP to come off as nit-picky, it just seems like that stance would have a great amount of stress on the knees and might make it difficult to get out of the way of the catcher.

He looks like John Tumpane, have to be young and limber for that stance!  I used one that looked like this one just one time but that was right after taking a shot in the nutty buddy. 

• Like 1

Just now, blue23ll said:

He looks like John Tumpane, have to be young and limber for that stance!  I used one that looked like this one just one time but that was right after taking a shot in the nutty buddy. 

The gentleman actually appears to be on the elderly side, but he moves better than me behind the plate!

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

far be it from me to criticize, but how the heck does he see the outside corner?  

Maybe because he's so far back and up high? I dunno. When I first started, I set up pretty far back and had a hard time with the outside corner.

On 4/24/2018 at 8:39 PM, LoneBlueStar said:

Came across this plate stance tonight at one of our city's varsity games. The picture was taken prior to the pitch, just to be clear. I'm no expert by any stretch, but that stance just seems like a bad idea.

Thoughts?

20180424_203317.jpg

It looks painful. Probably hasn't been trained.