Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty_Ump

Wendelstedt Advanced Amateur Umpire Course

Does anybody here have experience with the Amateur Umpire Courses offered by the Wendelstedt school? 

http://www.umpireschool.com/abbreviated-courses

For somebody like me who doesn't have the time or money for a month-long umpire school - plus I'm not interested in a job as a professional umpire - this looks like an interesting opportunity to improve my umpiring skills for levels like high school, college, independent leagues, etc..., and still get something like the "umpire school" experience.

Also from my (limited) research, it appears Wendelstedt is the only school that offers abbreviated 2-week courses. Are there others out there?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Have you looked at MidAmump's clinic in Missouri? I believe it's only a long weekend and I've heard nothing but raves about it from umpires who have been there. I believe it's part of the Wendelstedt sphere. I live an hour from there and have yet to make it but it's definitely on my priority list for the next year.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I've been to the basic course in 2013. You're there in the 5 week class for the start, you just leave after about 2 weeks. Vice/versa for the advanced course. You basically get a lot of formation, drills, and some very limited cage work. You won't get situational drills or camp games in the basic course. I would be a little leery of attending the advanced course unless you were very well versed in the 2 man system. Otherwise, you would have to pick up the footwork, mechanics, and rotations very quickly, as you would be missing a lot of practice on the fundamentals. I think most people could struggle a bit in the situational drills and camp games.

While I did learn a lot, in my opinion it is not work the time and effort and then leave early. If you live close by, then maybe it is. When I was there, I kicked myself for spending all the time, effort, and money, and not stay the full 5 weeks. That played into my decision to attend the full MiLB 4 week school in 2015. I feel that the MiLB school is much better than Wedlestedt.

If you're going to go to pro school, I suggest bite the bullet and attend the full school. You'll get the full experience and the certificate, which can open a few doors for you.

There are usually plenty of local and college weekend clinics that can really help you hone your skills. I'd look into those first, attend a few, and see where you want to go next.

Not sure what part of the country that you live, but in my opinion, one of the best schools for the cost and level of instruction is the Little League week long umpire school in San Bernadino, California. It's very affordable, teaches mostly pro based mechanics, and you get a lot of work in. If you haven't had a lot of formal training, this is one of the better schools to attend. Although the instruction is mostly geared to the small diamond, the mechanics and plate work instruction is almost entirely based on pro school. You don't have to be a LL umpire to attend.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

1 hour ago, Scotty_Ump said:

Does anybody here have experience with the Amateur Umpire Courses offered by the Wendelstedt school? 

For somebody like me who doesn't have the time or money for a month-long umpire school - plus I'm not interested in a job as a professional umpire - this looks like an interesting opportunity to improve my umpiring skills for levels like high school, college, independent leagues, etc..., and still get something like the "umpire school" experience.

Also from my (limited) research, it appears Wendelstedt is the only school that offers abbreviated 2-week courses. Are there others out there?

I have no idea where you live, but you might do well to consider these. I've attended both courses and they are both fantastic.  Great instructors without egos.  http://blackandblueumpirecamps.com/     http://www.midamericanumpireclinic.com/advanced.html

4 hours ago, Scotty_Ump said:

@Scotty_Ump PM me if interested.  I had one of my local guys went through the OUTS clinic the week after Wendlestedts umpire school and can put you in touch if you'd like.