Automatic Ball for Extra Warmup Pitch

The Flush
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2167 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

The catcher did not hear (or otherwise ignored) the plate ump say to send it down (i.e. last warm up pitch) and therefore the pitcher ended up throwing an additional warm up pitch.  The ump called a ball before the first at bat of the inning began, although no one realized it until after the inning because it was not announced loud enough for the bench to hear.  I have not encountered this before. Which NFHS rule covers this situation?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

7 answers to this question

The umpire in your game was probably not MSUing, just being overly officious. But, unfortunately, he does have some rule support according to the 2016 BRD (section 434, p. 289):

FED Official Interpretation:  Rumble:  At the beginning of an inning, the pitcher may not: (1) exceed the limit of five warmup throws; or (2) take an extra toss after being warned. PENALTY:  In (1), a ball; in (2), ejection. (News 3/91 #4)

The rule this interpretation is based on is FED 6-2-2c EXCEPTION. And the penalty listed for violation of rule 6-2-2c is one ball being awarded to the batter. By the way, the NCAA has essentially the same rule (9-2i penalty).

Yeah, that Rumble interp is crap. 6-2-2 is the "delay of game" rule, and it has 3 kinds, (a) F1 throwing to someone other than F2, (b) extra conferences, and (c) violating the 20-second rule.

The EXCEPTION is an exception to the prohibition of delaying the game. Normal warmups are not delay of game. There is no penalty indicated for violating this provision.

The penalty for 6-2-2c is the nearest penalty (violating the 20-second rule earns F1 a ball in the count), but there's absolutely no indication that this penalty should ALSO apply to the EXCEPTION.

Between 6-2-2c and the EXCEPTION is a NOTE, which requires that the ball be returned immediately to F1. I guess Rumble wants us to start adding a ball to the count for that, too.

giphy.gif