Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
udbrky

Sign stealing prevention CHI - COL game

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

IDK about OBR, but in NCAA you could get visual obstruction (8-3-f) if the defense attempts a pickoff while F6 is in front of R2.

And, for once, the announcer said something right - if they're stealing your signs, get better signs! LOL

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jms1425 said:

And, for once, the announcer said something right - if they're stealing your signs, get better signs! LOL

Nailed it

2 hours ago, jms1425 said:

I disagree with his premise of that Baez shouldn’t be doing it though. If you can steal signs/give location, why can’t he stand in front of you?

(Subject to a change in the rule / interp after I retired)  It's OBS in FED, but not in OBR.  It's still illegal, though.

From some old version of MLBUM:

(12) With a runner on first base, the first baseman, rather than holding the runner in the
traditional manner jockeys back and forth in front of the runner, several feet to the second base
side of the bag. In the umpire's judgment the first baseman is doing this intentionally to block the
runner's view of the pitcher.
Ruling: While Official Baseball Rule 4.03(c) allows a fielder to position himself anywhere in fair
territory, if the umpire deems the fielder's actions are a deliberate effort to block the runner's
view of the pitcher, it is illegal and clearly not within the spirit of the Rules. The first baseman
should be warned to stop, and if he persists, he is subject to ejection.

In my day, stealing signs was something that was expected. You did it from second, you did it from the bench. If your signs get stolen, get better signs, I agree! 

Now peeking at the catcher was strictly off limits, and we policed that ourselves...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blue23ll said:

Now peeking at the catcher was strictly off limits, and we policed that ourselves...

Fast ball up & in?

Thanks for letting me know. There is such thing as visual obstruction in OBR if the fielder intentionally prevents the runner from seeing the play. I'll write on it tomorrow.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Fast ball up & in?

In 1997 I was working a fall ball game and for some reason a catcher was peaking back every time he came to bat.  The other teams third pitcher, who was being heavily scouted by both college and MLB teams, threw his first pitch about two feet behind and two feet above the batter.  About a mid 90's fastball.  Kid stopped peaking.  When he came back to catch I asked him about it and he said it didn't scare him.  Couldn't tell me why he stopped peaking, but it didn't scare him.

7 minutes ago, umpstu said:

In 1997 I was working a fall ball game and for some reason a catcher was peaking back every time he came to bat.  The other teams third pitcher, who was being heavily scouted by both college and MLB teams, threw his first pitch about two feet behind and two feet above the batter.  About a mid 90's fastball.  Kid stopped peaking.  When he came back to catch I asked him about it and he said it didn't scare him.  Couldn't tell me why he stopped peaking, but it didn't scare him.

Discretion is the better part of valor

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, blue23ll said:

Discretion is the better part of valor

Survival of the fittest?

I have made it a topic of discussion in the offseason.   

Ways to steal signs.  Whether from the coach when you're on defense, or the catcher when you're on offense.   I always have a bench player assigned to learning the third base coach signs.

Invariably, someone suggests to just peak at the catcher when you're at the plate.  I then explain that the next pitch they see will be in their ear hole.  Without fail a dozen jaws drop, and then they realize I'm telling the truth.   

I just read this article this morning (on a blog that has everything to do with cybersecurity and nothing to do with baseball - strange how my worlds occasionally overlap):

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-rockies-believe-they-have-an-unbreakable-code/