What is the Correct Call

Guest Michael A. Kane
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2166 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Michael A. Kane

Batter hits ball which lands fair between 3rd and home. Hitter reaches to first base. ball rolls foul. Fielding team never touches the ball. Hitter ends up at 2nd base before umpire ends the play fielding team never touched the ball.  

what is the correct call 

10 answers to this question

Foul ball. It only matters where the ball settles or is touched in order to determine fair/foul status. If it settled in foul territory before 3B, then foul ball, batter back to bat, all other runners, if any, return to their time of pitch base(s).

I agree the call is foul.  And, I understand this is the "newbie" section.  But, I am seriously wondering what led to this question and how anyone with any knowledge of baseball could think otherwise.
Because it's not a newbie section, it's an ask the umpire section. Plenty of parents, grandparents, and none baseball people in general don't have the slightest clue about baseball. That's OK, I respect they ask rather than assume they know something they don't and yell at some umpire.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tksjewelry said:

Because it's not a newbie section, it's an ask the umpire section. Plenty of parents, grandparents, and none baseball people in general don't have the slightest clue about baseball. That's OK, I respect they ask rather than assume they know something they don't and yell at some umpire.

Hopefully......But you are assuming they didn't scream at the umpire(s) That the batter was at 1B before it went foul and he should get the base. :shrug:.I've heard parents scream about stranger things...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tksjewelry said:

I think that's one of the definitions of "newbie."  And, I'm not berating the OP for asking -- I'm seriously wondering about the origin of the question.

13 hours ago, Tksjewelry said:

All of those people would fall under "newbie".

@noumpereis asking the same question I would/am.  What situation arose in a game that caused the OP to ask this question?  Did an umpire rule it fair because the runner had reached first?  Did a coach argue/insist it should be fair, to the point he got ejected?  Were all the parents screaming this should have been a fair ball?  

Or did ump call it foul, and OP just happened to be sitting next to someone in the stands who thought it should be fair?

I would be surprised if even a parent/volunteer ump called this fair.

13 hours ago, Tksjewelry said:

I agree.  I have often said they should hand out rule books at the games with paid admission. I long for the days I don't have to hear someone screaming at the top of their lungs at me "it cannot be an infield fly there is no one on 3rd" or "both of his feet were "out of bounds" when he picked the ball up in FAIR territory".

An experienced umpire asked me earlier this year whether he had a correctly officiated a play which started with R1, R2, 1 out.  The ball was popped up on the infield, landed in fair territory between home and 1B, and rolled across the line in front on 1B, where the base coach picked it up while it was still moving.

Of course, it wouldn't be an interesting story if had been correct.  He ruled the batter out on the infield fly and R2 (the runner closest to home) out on interference by 1BC.  He, like it seems many people do, allowed himself to be confused by the fact the fly ball landed fair, neglecting the fact that it still had not passed the base.

I don't know why it's such a tough thing.  It regularly confuses people when we discuss case plays in clinics, too.