Benidtenei out of baseline

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2184 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Nafxos said:

I didn't like the call. I don't think he deviated more than 3 feet from his established basepath once the tag attempt began. 

He was on the foul line and wound up on the dugout side of the three foot lane.  Seems to be pretty far out of the base path when he avoided that tag.

2 hours ago, Nafxos said:

I didn't like the call. I don't think he deviated more than 3 feet from his established basepath once the tag attempt began. 

Your profile name seems to be at odds with your objectivity. It was the correct call.

By the time F3 fields the ball, he was back in the running lane and his right foot was almost touching the right edge of the lane. That's the starting position that matters, not where he was (in fair territory) a few steps before. I don't think he deviated 3+ feet to avoid the actual tag attempt.

Interesting call. Very tight, but supportable, and I like it because baseball is a game of defense.

I would add that my usual "smell test" for this call is the runner going around the fielder's outstretched arm (usually about 3'). Here, F3 has to dive, but that's also due to his being more than 4' from the runner when he fields the ball. This distance complicates the judgment call.

Oddly, had F3 succeeded in tagging the runner, the call of safe would have stood: the ball popped out of F3's glove as he landed.

Great body control by the BR.

Screen_Shot_2018-04-22_at_8.06.13_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2018-04-22_at_8.07.31_AM.png

A runner makes his own path. He is only illegally out of the base path when he deviates more than 3 feet during a tag attempt. A tag attempt can't be made until the fielder has the ball. The previous post shows the runner's position prior to the fielder's ball possession (glove open).
The following (IMO) better shows BR's position when F3 has possession and initiates his tag attempt:
5adf2515bc654_outofbaseline1.png.45699d3474c5d777c8f9338bd504d679.png

And the position of BR at the conclusion of the tag attempt.
5adf258900e57_outofbaseline2.png.d5810b578b4ea70ee054d3fde1113405.png

I think that the crew only huddled and changed the call to out without a video review. IMO, if they had a video review, the safe call would have stood. I thought that was a  hellova legal tag avoidance. 

I believe PU came in with the "out of the baseline" call. That's fine: U1 is watching for the tag and the touch, he has his hands full.

I believe this judgment call is unreviewable, which would explain why it wasn't reviewed.

The call has to be made in real time at pro speed. If we need multiple still shots and super slo-mo and protractors to assess the correctness of a judgment call, it would stand on review every time.

11 minutes ago, maven said:

I believe PU came in with the "out of the baseline" call. That's fine: U1 is watching for the tag and the touch, he has his hands full.

I believe this judgment call is unreviewable, which would explain why it wasn't reviewed.

The call has to be made in real time at pro speed. If we need multiple still shots and super slo-mo and protractors to assess the correctness of a judgment call, it would stand on review every time.

PU doesn't make the call in real time, the video shows PU with his arms down after the tag (@ 11 seconds), the call was made after the conference, so couldn't they have gone to replay to check the move BR made?

1 hour ago, stkjock said:

PU doesn't make the call in real time, the video shows PU with his arms down after the tag (@ 11 seconds), the call was made after the conference, so couldn't they have gone to replay to check the move BR made?

I'd bet that PU said nothing because U1 ruled the runner safe, and he wasn't sure whether U1's ruling was "comprehensive."

When the conferenced, I'm guessing it was something along these lines:

U1: I had no tag, runner touched 1B.
PU: Were you ruling on OOB?
U1: No, I was focused on tag/no tag.
PU: I had him OOB.
U1: We should change it to "out."

57 minutes ago, maven said:

I'd bet that PU said nothing because U1 ruled the runner safe, and he wasn't sure whether U1's ruling was "comprehensive."

When the conferenced, I'm guessing it was something along these lines:

U1: I had no tag, runner touched 1B.
PU: Were you ruling on OOB?
U1: No, I was focused on tag/no tag.
PU: I had him OOB.
U1: We should change it to "out."

gotcah, thanks Maven