Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
udbrky

Biggest blowout ever?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I had a game last year that ended up like 36-0. By the third inning, I told the winning team coach his team better swing if they can reach it or I'm calling a strike.  This was JV level and the losing team had about 11 players and 8 of them had never played before.   His best pitcher was throwing like 55 and with no movement.  It was batting practice for the other team.  We ended after 4.5 (thankfully home team was winning so we didn't have to go full 5), but still took 2 hours to get there.

I told the winning coach I was sorry as I didn't want to start bad habits, but if they started taking walks then we'd have been there all night.

Here's mine (I was on the dish):

#7 South Carolina 38, Charleston Southern 0
(Feb 14, 2004 at Columbia, S.C.)

------------------------------------------------------------
  Charleston Southern. 00   0 000 000  -  0  4  4      (0-2)
  South Carolina...... 7(14)2 203 73X  - 38 35  2      (2-0)
  ------------------------------------------------------------
  Pitchers: Charleston Southern - Holmen; Fasulo(2); Perkins(2); Trenor(5); 
  Thrower(7). South Carolina - Fletcher; Luczak(6); Cruse(7); Gregory(8); 
  Donald(9). 
  Win-Fletcher(1-0)  Loss-Holmen(0-1)  T-3:06  A-216
  HR SC - Pearce 2, Melillo 2, Winn, Parks, Campbell, Mi
  ID-237352   

16 minutes ago, LRZ said:

A pitcher named Thrower is not a good sign.

I can hear the coach now:  quit aiming and just throw it!

If we're counting JV, I had a 36-0 game. Our state (thankfully) has a 15-after-3 mercy rule, and that was the final after 2.5 innings (home team ahead). 20-0 after the first inning. Second inning I asked the HTHC if I could make his zone ridiculously huge and he agreed. One of the first batters comes up and the pitch is over his eyeballs. *strike* He looks at me and says "that was over my head". I said "yep. Strike".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, eagle_12 said:

MIAA play by NFHS rules? Pic from article gives me issues if so. 

No, we play by obr

Just my opinion, but this doesn't pass the smell test for me.

Did no one from Christo Rey know who they were playing? I think as a coach or AD, I would have done some research.

What, it HAD to be a regulation game? It doesn't sound like either team needed this game to qualify for the playoffs. Since when does an umpire force you to finish a game? Both coaches could have easily agreed to playing a scrimmage game after a couple of innings when it was obvious that the game was going south quickly. Of course Christo Rey team would have had to take a forfeit, but so what? Play a scrimmage and change sides whenever you want to. Let the umps stay or go home with pay. That would have been much more enjoyable for both sides. To think that there was "nothing" the coach could do was ludicrous.

JMO

Had one of those 20-0 after the 1st inning games this year. Losing team HC wanted to know if we had to play 5. (Only 10 after 5 rule here in NJ). I figured we needed to complete the game in order for the winning team to get credit. Last thing I wanted was some other school getting wind that the game wasn't played to completion and the winning team lose a win over it.

Winning team coach had his kids take legitimate AB's and then wonder off the bases to get picked off or trying to stretch singles into doubles, etc.  It was ugly.

10 hours ago, Richvee said:

Had one of those 20-0 after the 1st inning games this year. Losing team HC wanted to know if we had to play 5. (Only 10 after 5 rule here in NJ). I figured we needed to complete the game in order for the winning team to get credit. Last thing I wanted was some other school getting wind that the game wasn't played to completion and the winning team lose a win over it.

Winning team coach had his kids take legitimate AB's and then wonder off the bases to get picked off or trying to stretch singles into doubles, etc.  It was ugly.

FED has a rule that the game can be shortened by the mutual agreement of the coaches (and maybe the UIC in varsity games -- I forget the specifics).  Unless NJ has specifically removed that rule, you can use it.

4 hours ago, noumpere said:

FED has a rule that the game can be shortened by the mutual agreement of the coaches (and maybe the UIC in varsity games -- I forget the specifics).  Unless NJ has specifically removed that rule, you can use it.

Unfortunately,  that's only valid if the state hasn't adopted game ending procedures.

4-4-2................... By state association adoption, the game shall end when the visiting team is behind 10 or more runs after 4½ innings, or after the fifth inning, if either team is 10 runs behind and both teams have had an equal number of times at bat.

NJ has adopted the 10 after 5 rule. 

4-4-4..................A state association may adopt game-ending procedures that determine how games are ended, including suspended games. However, if a state does not adopt game ending procedures, by mutual agreement of the opposing ­coaches and the umpire-in-chief, any remaining play may be shortened or the game terminated. If a state association has adopted game-ending procedures, only those game-ending procedures may be used, should the opposing coaches wish to terminate a game.

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

Unfortunately,  that's only valid if the state hasn't adopted game ending procedures.

4-4-2................... By state association adoption, the game shall end when the visiting team is behind 10 or more runs after 4½ innings, or after the fifth inning, if either team is 10 runs behind and both teams have had an equal number of times at bat.

NJ has adopted the 10 after 5 rule. 

4-4-4..................A state association may adopt game-ending procedures that determine how games are ended, including suspended games. However, if a state does not adopt game ending procedures, by mutual agreement of the opposing ­coaches and the umpire-in-chief, any remaining play may be shortened or the game terminated. If a state association has adopted game-ending procedures, only those game-ending procedures may be used, should the opposing coaches wish to terminate a game.

We have it in OH too.  I hate it.  When the game has clearly been decided and no one wants to be there (not parents, coaches, umps and even the players are done) but you have to finish 5.  I don't know why you can't adapt a 15 after 4, 20 after 3, etc.  If you allow that many runs that early, then you clearly aren't in the game and we should be able to end the suffering.

• Like 1

Last week Varsity game... 14-0 after the first 3 outs... 

Coach went station to station after that... we still somehow finished in 2 hours with a 24 or 25-2 score.

Pitching was just BP for the visitors.

6 hours ago, udbrky said:

I always thought they should for non-varsity.

sub varsity I'll stop any time the 2 coaches agree. There's no state tournament seedings at steakif the game doesn't count because we stopped before 5.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

We have it in OH too.  I hate it.  When the game has clearly been decided and no one wants to be there (not parents, coaches, umps and even the players are done) but you have to finish 5.  I don't know why you can't adapt a 15 after 4, 20 after 3, etc.  If you allow that many runs that early, then you clearly aren't in the game and we should be able to end the suffering.

Just because we have adopted the 10 after 5 doesn't mean we don't have the mutual agreement option as well. We have both in our state-adopted game ending procedures...see pg 21 of the 2018 Baseball Manual.