Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
tempetoro

Should the base umpire intervene?

Had a JV game yesterday with an older umpire who also works big high school games in our area. No one on and the batter hits a line drive shot down the left field line.  I bust in and see my partner throw his hands up "FOUL BALL!"  The third base coach jumps up and shouts no way!  After I get back to my spot I turn to see the third base coach walking down the left field line where he stops about halfway to the fence and points to a spot where he says the ball hit.  My partner behind the plate just ignored him and put the ball in play before the coach started walking back to his box. 

My question is what should I have done as a base umpire in that situation?  Is it ever okay for the base guy to get involved in situations like this if it is no where near him?  Everything was so far away but had I been the plate guy, I would have warned the coach to stay here then dumped him if he continued walking down the line.  

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I did EJ a coach for a partner once. My partner was walking back to A with his back to the coach, when the coach flipped him off with both HANDS....buh bye

I think in that situation not doing anything was the right thing to do.  Anything going on with the coach and PU at that point was between them.  Getting involved in a partner's situation isn't usually a good idea.  However, like @blue23ll pointed out, it's sometimes very helpful.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ump-Cast said:

I think in that situation not doing anything was the right thing to do.  Anything going on with the coach and PU at that point was between them.  Getting involved in a partner's situation isn't usually a good idea.  However, like @blue23ll pointed out, it's sometimes very helpful.

The difference is between staying out of your partners business and having their back.

17 hours ago, tempetoro said:

Had a JV game yesterday with an older umpire who also works big high school games in our area. No one on and the batter hits a line drive shot down the left field line.  I bust in and see my partner throw his hands up "FOUL BALL!"  The third base coach jumps up and shouts no way!  After I get back to my spot I turn to see the third base coach walking down the left field line where he stops about halfway to the fence and points to a spot where he says the ball hit.  My partner behind the plate just ignored him and put the ball in play before the coach started walking back to his box. 

My question is what should I have done as a base umpire in that situation?  Is it ever okay for the base guy to get involved in situations like this if it is no where near him?  Everything was so far away but had I been the plate guy, I would have warned the coach to stay here then dumped him if he continued walking down the line.  

The best thing the base umpire can do here is learn a game management techniques from a more experienced umpire.  (Recognizing that sometimes you might learn what not to do, and that any given technique might not work in any given situation.)

17 hours ago, tempetoro said:

My question is what should I have done as a base umpire in that situation?

In that situation? Nothing: once the ball touches the ground and PU announces 'foul', by rule it cannot be changed. So there's no point, and you'd undermine your partner to do anything.

In general, fair/foul is (almost?) never a crew-saving call. When PU calls a runner out at the plate and the ball is on the ground, that would be a crew-saving call to help with. Those are ends of the spectrum, with some hard cases in between. Until you're more experienced and learn how to handle the hard cases, err on the side of not intervening.

I'd also suggest that if he expects every call to be meekly accepted he's in the wrong business. 

I agree, but walking halfway down the LF line and pointing to where the coach believed the ball hit the ground is akin to a batter drawing a line. There’s a difference between disagreeing with a call and showing up the umpire.
  • Thanks 1