FED pitching requirement

Tborze
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2193 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

In the set position, the pitcher is required to have "the ball in both hands in front of the body and his glove at or below his chin". 

Is there a restriction on where the glove is in the wind up?  The rule only states "in front of the body". Does that mean NOT in front of his face?

If there is a difference, what is it?  

Is it considered an advantage to make a snap throw from a higher set position?

Some one said it was to prevent them from spitting on the ball.  If that were the case, it would be illegal in both positions assuming there is a distinction.  

Has anyone else noticed there seems to be conflicting rules regarding the wind up?  

2.28.3 C seems to contradict 6.1.2 C for example, as well as others.  

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Tborze said:

In the set position, the pitcher is required to have "the ball in both hands in front of the body and his glove at or below his chin". 

Is there a restriction on where the glove is in the wind up?  The rule only states "in front of the body". Does that mean NOT in front of his face?

If there is a difference, what is it?  

Is it considered an advantage to make a snap throw from a higher set position?

Some one said it was to prevent them from spitting on the ball.  If that were the case, it would be illegal in both positions assuming there is a distinction.  

Has anyone else noticed there seems to be conflicting rules regarding the wind up?  

2.28.3 C seems to contradict 6.1.2 C for example, as well as others.  

6.1.2C already has one arm up. Both arms are not moving together.  I usually discern that if F1 does as in 2.28.3C. Not called in my neck of the woods. The OBR "you know it when you see it" seems to be accepted.

15 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

6.1.2C already has one arm up. Both arms are not moving together.  I usually discern that if F1 does as in 2.28.3C. Not called in my neck of the woods. The OBR "you know it when you see it" seems to be accepted.

Wow, it does!  I've read that a dozen times and read it as though both arms were moving. TX 

As you say, you know it when you see it!  

There is no restriction where F1 positions his gloved hand in the wind-up position.  

Where in the rules for the wind-up position does it state that the glove be "in front of the body?"

It is not considered an advantage to make a snap throw from a higher set position.  It just looks stupid and NFHS doesn't want their kids looking bad.  (A little humor!)

I don't see a conflict regarding the wind-up.    

2.28.3 C states F1 moved both arms simultaneously, then stopped.  That's a start-stop infraction. 

6.1.2 C states F1 moved one arm to join hands.  That's legal.  The TOP begins from the wind-up when F1 moves two arms and/or and arm and the non-pivot foot simultaneously.  

6 hours ago, Cav said:

There is no restriction where F1 positions his gloved hand in the wind-up position.  

Where in the rules for the wind-up position does it state that the glove be "in front of the body?" 6-1-2

It is not considered an advantage to make a snap throw from a higher set position.  It just looks stupid and NFHS doesn't want their kids looking bad.  (A little humor!)

I don't see a conflict regarding the wind-up.    

2.28.3 C states F1 moved both arms simultaneously, then stopped.  That's a start-stop infraction. 

6.1.2 C states F1 moved one arm to join hands.  That's legal.  The TOP begins from the wind-up when F1 moves two arms and/or and arm and the non-pivot foot simultaneously.  This has already been addressed

My question is, why is it a balk if the pitcher comes set with his glove above his chin?  

23 minutes ago, Tborze said:

My question is, why is it a balk if the pitcher comes set with his glove above his chin?  

To give inexperienced umpires balks to call. That, momentary adjustment that cannot be construed as coming set, hand to mouth on the rubber with runners, hand adjusting cap on the rubber with runners (not a balk anymore but was), gorilla arm (eased the enforcement). I have to admit I will balk a change to windup or set without proper dissengagement which could be viewed as technical as my above examples. But most HS umps that WANT to look for the above transgessions probably wouldn't catch a knee pop  or an elephant balk if their life depended on it.

6 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

To give inexperienced umpires balks to call. That, momentary adjustment that cannot be construed as coming set, hand to mouth on the rubber with runners, hand adjusting cap on the rubber with runners (not a balk anymore but was), gorilla arm (eased the enforcement). I have to admit I will balk a change to windup or set without proper dissengagement which could be viewed as technical as my above examples. But most HS umps that WANT to look for the above transgessions probably wouldn't catch a knee pop  or an elephant balk if their life depended on it.

Thank You!  OOO's ?

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why this would be called. 

there has been an umpire who has called this, so called infraction, 3 times in 2 games. One was from the wind up with an R3. Yes he balked in a run. 

I'm just trying to wrap my head around it to explain why it would be called.  

45 minutes ago, Tborze said:

Thank You!  OOO's ?

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why this would be called. 

there has been an umpire who has called this, so called infraction, 3 times in 2 games. One was from the wind up with an R3. Yes he balked in a run. 

I'm just trying to wrap my head around it to explain why it would be called.  

I have balked in a winning run for a pitcher not coming set.  Pretty damn blatant on his part for me to call it in that situation.  Considering I had warned him twice prior to calling it. And it was a school night in extra innings.  

8 hours ago, Tborze said:

Because my "bible" tells me so at 6-1-3, a publication by coaches, for coaches.

9 hours ago, Tborze said:

I dunno....but like the gorilla arm and other rules, I bet it came out of someone in CA, TX, or FL getting bent out of shape about it. That seems to be the pattern as I understand it. Perhaps someone thought that holding your hands up high in the set allowed an "unfair" ability to snap throw to first.