Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
White47

Who's call is it

Runners on second so BU is in C. soft grounder up 1st base line.  BR goes out of the base line avoiding F1 tag attempt.  Who  call is it, or is it just a situation that whoever sees it grabs it?  we eventually got together and got it right, but it would have looked alot better if we got while the ball was live. I think we both thought the other was going to call it.  

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

PU should be right there covering fair/foul, so there's no problem him getting it. If he took a peek to make sure his partner wasn't jumping on it, that would be fine.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, White47 said:

Runners on second so BU is in C. soft grounder up 1st base line.  BR goes out of the base line avoiding F1 tag attempt.  Who  call is it, or is it just a situation that whoever sees it grabs it?  we eventually got together and got it right, but it would have looked alot better if we got while the ball was live. I think we both thought the other was going to call it.  

With BU in B or C, calls on the line are PU's to take. If BU takes the call, it's a difficult sell because he can't see plays relative to the line the way PU can. You may want to pregame this kind of thing if you or your partner aren't sure. That way, if it happens again, you'll have better "optics" when making the call.

1 hour ago, ElkOil said:

With BU in B or C, calls on the line are PU's to take.

I get what you're saying, but I wouldn't put it this way (for one thing, your statement entails that PU should call safe/out at 1B—which is "on the line"—but I don't think you mean to say that).

So normally with R2 doesn't PU have the touch at third for example if the play had been at first rather than a tag up the line?  I ask because I have run into this before when I was in C and a dribbler was hit down the first base line.  I went towards the working area to get a good look at a play at first.  Well my PU, partner went up the line as well, and before I noticed and turned around there was a collision rounding third between R2 and F5.  Neither of us saw it as we both went towards the play at first.  We talked about it later and I pregame now that 1/2 way up the line PU has tag and after that BU has it.  

Do any of you do anything different to avoid that SH*# sandwich?

PU can be forked in 2-umpire mechanics when there's R2 and a bunt up the 1B line. He's got fair/foul and R2's touch at 3B.

See the discussion in this thread.

3 hours ago, maven said:

PU can be forked in 2-umpire mechanics when there's R2 and a bunt up the 1B line. He's got fair/foul and R2's touch at 3B.

Yep -- both PU and BU need to figure out in the blink-of-an-eye what the "real" play is and who is going to watch what and the other umpire needs to watch the rest.

It's part of the "art" of umpiring (v. the science of it).  When it's done right, both umpires know it -- and no one else does.

3 hours ago, maven said:

True, but a BU worth anything is gonna give you some help at third base...there could very easily be obstruction by F5 there too. Work together, then just plain experience and not being a mechanics manual umpire. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maven said:

This is where the head on a swivel mechanic comes in to play.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, umpstu said:

This is where the head on a swivel mechanic comes in to play.  

Yes. Give them a glance and work w/ your partner. 

• Like 1