Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
S. vanTootblan

Tag runner on half-off helmet - out?

Question

Just a weird hypothetical based on a play in an MLB game the other day: Close play at the plate on a Sac Fly, runner is sliding headfirst, catcher swipes the tag and gets the runner on the helmet just before he touches the plate. But it's a one-flap helmet, and is coming off his head as the tag is applied. Question: how "off" does the helmet have to be for it to be for the runner to be safe?

9 answers to this question

Runners are out when tagged on their uniform or equipment. Runners are responsible for wearing their equipment correctly. Unless the helmet is not in physical contact with the runner (in the air or on the ground), I've got an out.

• Like 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
32 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

It's off. Where is the doubt?

Between "completely on and worn as intended" and "clearly off and no longer part of the person" there's a grey area where the helmet goes from "loose" to "falling off" to "barely on"  to "barely off, but only visible through slo-mo replay" to ...

If you can't tell that it's "clearly off and no longer part of the person" consider it "on" and get the out.

45 minutes ago, noumpere said:

Between "completely on and worn as intended" and "clearly off and no longer part of the person" there's a grey area where the helmet goes from "loose" to "falling off" to "barely on"  to "barely off, but only visible through slo-mo replay" to ...

If you can't tell that it's "clearly off and no longer part of the person" consider it "on" and get the out.

"Completely off" was the situation presented and to which I responded.

55 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

"Completely off" was the situation presented and to which I responded.

Nope.  I meant that the rule is "completely off" (answering the OP where the helmet is "coming off") and that the benefit of the doubt when determining that goes to the defense.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By BrianC14
      So we all (I assume) get the idea of the base umpire getting his calls, including tag plays.
      Yesterday this situation presented itself.  I'm at the plate, partner is in "B", R3.   Apparently, BU had chosen B to stay to the weak side of the right handed batter.   (Full disclosure:  I would not and do not do this, but apparently he decided to go there).  
      Batter hits a sharp one-hopper to F1, who looks R3 back and then throws B/R out at first easily.  As F1 releases the throw to F3, R3 then moves quickly down the line toward home several steps and stops, and begins a slow retreat to 3B.   F3 fires it back to F5 and a tag is applied, which is an easy call given my angle from my position.  R3 is clearly out by a step or two (R3 was not sliding), but as I give a glance to BU, he doesn't immediately signal and instead is looking at me; it was readily apparent that he was straight-lined on the tag; that's understandable, and I recalled later that he would likely have been straight-lined even if he'd been in "C" due to the positions of R3 and F5.   I immediately call R3 out.   
      How would my fellow umpires have handled this?
    • By LMSANS
      R3, 1 out, Fly ball to F8.  Runner tags...and here is what happened.  I know you want me on 3BX, but I have always done 1BX and can't break the habit.  Offensive coach was asking about blocking the plate without the ball.  I felt that F2 gave the back of the plate.
      I made the out call after seeing the ball.
      Any comments?

• By Mad Mike
      R1 outs don't matter. OBR rule set. R1 breaks early on the pitch to the batter. R1 arrives at second base at the time the batter fouls off the pitch.
      Can the runner be allowed to stay at second? Or do we have him return because the base he last occupied at TOP was 1st when the ball was fouled off?
      I seem to recall reading about this a few years ago, but I can't find the correct reference in the BRD.
      Any help would be appreciated!!!

• By Thunderheads
      A few things ..........
      Understood the call on the field ........
      Can't understand how you miss a tag like that ..........
      I HATE the finger pointing and histrionics when a player signals to the bench that there should be a review......
      Your browser does not support iframes. 
    • By Gfoley4
      Your browser does not support iframes.