Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
indianaumpire15

F1 step towards 3rd from sent position

13 hours ago, indianaumpire15 said:

I think it was a situation where I may have misunderstood and just seen other guys not call it.  I know for a fact I have been watching a HS game and seen a guy step towards third and wheel to first with an R1 only.  And no balk was called.  Now I know for sure that is a balk.

You might be confusing a "step" toward third (that. by definition is with the free foot) and a "jab step to first" (where the pivot foot moves toward third as part of the motion to throw to first).

And, in FED, the pitcher does NOT need to disengage from the rubber on the 3-1 move (although they will 99% of the time) -- but if it's followed by a move toward first, the pitcher must throw.  In NCAA, (and in OBR before the rule change) the pitcher had to remove the pivot foot from the rubber as part of the move to third in order to feint / throw to first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
11 hours ago, noumpere said:

You might be confusing a "step" toward third (that. by definition is with the free foot) and a "jab step to first" (where the pivot foot moves toward third as part of the motion to throw to first).

This might be precisely what I got confused with years ago.  Thanks.