Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Yaki5

Blind call

Question

Guest Yaki5

There was a runner on second and I was plate ump(field was behind second bc it’s little league) the ball was hit and the runner on first took too wide of a turn and prompted a throw to first. My field ump was out of position so he couldn’t see and the play was on the backside of the bag so I couldn’t see if the first baseman got the tag down. I called the runner out and talked to the field ump and he said he couldn’t see the play. What should i have done? Should I have called him out, safe, or made no call and talked to my field ump. 

9 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Guest Yaki5 said:

There was a runner on second and I was plate ump(field was behind second bc it’s little league) the ball was hit and the runner on first took too wide of a turn and prompted a throw to first. My field ump was out of position so he couldn’t see and the play was on the backside of the bag so I couldn’t see if the first baseman got the tag down. I called the runner out and talked to the field ump and he said he couldn’t see the play. What should i have done? Should I have called him out, safe, or made no call and talked to my field ump. 

Does the plate umpire usually take plays at first?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

That's your BU's call. He's got to make a call. Mechanics, mechanics, mechanics. On a small diamond, with BU in deep C (behind 2B) with an R2, on a base hit the BU should always be heading into the infield. He has all the plays on the bases. His call...Don't step on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guest Yaki5 said:

Are you describing a throw back to the bag @ 1st?

On 4/14/2018 at 7:31 PM, Guest Yaki5 said:

My field ump was out of position so he couldn’t see and the play was on the backside of the bag so I couldn’t see if the first baseman got the tag down.I called the runner out

And this is what drives coaches nuts.   Most of them aren't stupid.  Most of them know you could not have seen this play, and they know you're guessing.

With  R2, the BU should be in C which would put him somewhere behind F6 on a 60' field. Although a distance, he should be able to see a tag on the backside of the base from the angle without too much trouble. Remember you have to have a runner, a defender and the ball to make a play, so what else was the BU watching? 

This is not the PU call... BU should make his determination and then, and only if the coach comes out, should he come to you for help, if he chooses to. At that point you can give him what you have, which in your case should have been, sorry, you have nothing since you did not actually see the tag. 

Try not to poach each others calls. What happens next time when you signal out and your partner is saying safe at the same time?

• Like 1

When the call is the responsibility of the BU, don't jump in and poach his call. In your pre-game, you should cover a signal for 'having information' for your partner. You give that signal, discuss things and have him make a call. Unless you have a coverage where the PU is covering 1st base, then that's not your call. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this