Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
MadMax

BR Reverses Direction to HP, Baseball

This situation has been presented several times in "Ask the Umpire", here in Situations and in the various Levels boards. Here it is once again, though, so it can be observed and noted that the Umpire (PU) mechanics / calls the BR (in this case, Jonathan Villar of the Brewers) Out when he breaks the plane of Home Plate, not when he actually touches it (although, touching it would qualify as breaking its plane).

041118_villar_rundown_full.gif

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
4 hours ago, MadMax said:

This situation has been presented several times in "Ask the Umpire", here in Situations and in the various Levels boards. Here it is once again, though, so it can be observed and noted that the Umpire (PU) mechanics / calls the BR (in this case, Jonathan Villar of the Brewers) Out when he breaks the plane of Home Plate, not when he actually touches it (although, touching it would qualify as breaking its plane).

041118_villar_rundown_full.gif

Or was it 3 feet or abandonment?

Mr. johnnyg08, I believe this play took place in a game between the Brewers and Cardinals on April 11, 2018. Jonathan Villar was credited with an RBI on this play and that run turned out to be the winning run as the Brewers won, 3-2.

2 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

Mr. johnnyg08, I believe this play took place in a game between the Brewers and Cardinals on April 11, 2018. Jonathan Villar was credited with an RBI on this play and that run turned out to be the winning run as the Brewers won, 3-2.

Well done sir. That's the game and here's the clip:

Some good rule discussion as well as plate mechanics. Notice how PU moves to 1BLx for fair foul, then rotates 3BLx because there is a runner there who may attempt to score. 

Great clip! 

I know the NCAA explicitly covers this play in their rule book; in OBR or FED would you quote the "3-foot" rule or is there an Interp somewhere?  

7 minutes ago, zoops said:

I know the NCAA explicitly covers this play in their rule book; in OBR or FED would you quote the "3-foot" rule or is there an Interp somewhere?  

I believe it is an interp.

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 8.52.44 AM.jpg

2015 NFHS Case Book play 8.1.1 Situation A:  With R1, B2 bunts to F3 who fields the ball on the first bounce near the foul line. B2 stops and reverses toward home to avoid being tagged out by F3, who then throws to F6 for a force out on R1, and the relay throw fails to retire B2 at first base. RULING:  As long as B2 did not touch or run beyond home nor leave the base path to avoid a tag, the action is legal.