Concerning Coach Pitch...

BlueRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2196 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

:ranton:

I must ask, what is the difference between having and not having an umpire for coach pitch? 

All the coaches and parents (and lately players) do is piss and moan about every dang call that's even remotely close. The best part is the obligatory "yer takin it awey from da kids blu!" I must admit I my patience for daddy coaches has dropped to near nothing after tonight. I had two league coach pitch games. All of the coaches on every team screamed at their kids so much and with such intensity it was appalling. Even worse was that none of the coaches in the second game knew that there's no infield fly in 8u coach pitch, which of course led to a number of complaints. I have never actually been afraid for my physical safety before tonight, when a couple of daddy asshats started yelling at me when I was leaving for my car. I didnt bother to change, I just got in and hopped on the freeway to lose any unwanted followers before I went home.

I'm honestly asking why I put up with this crap for $30 a game... Hopefully the travel ball game I'm calling this Saturday isn't a tire fire so I can actually enjoy this again.

Wish me luck!

-LBS

:rantoff:

There's no reason to have an umpire for coach pitch. Unless it pays $750/game. Our league requires all coaches at the LL Minors level and above to ump. I've had other umpires ask to work our games. Because our coaches know the rules and don't argue. 

My daughter is in Minor C which is kid pitch, but with mods... there are no walks. if a batter receives 4 balls then the coach comes in to pitch. We have a parent/umpire for these games. Typically they are behind the mound and they call balls and strikes/safes and outs. Have not heard a peep from anyone in our league... and I am the UIC so I would hear about it at some point.

Your issue is the parents... they need to take a rational pill or something.

15 hours ago, LoneBlueStar said:

I must ask, what is the difference between having and not having an umpire for coach pitch? 

<war story>When my son was in coach pitch, I helped out the coaches (about 7 parents did, and that might not have been enough). Anyway, they know that I umpire, and I cracked everyone up once during a "game" when I called a balk on our coach (start/stop, if you want to know).</war story>

The  coaches and parents give the gears to the parent volunteer who is umping just as much as they would give a paid/carded/certified umpire.

Christ, just look at the youtube videos that are posted from parents who cammed their kids' game on their phone, and are questioning/complaining about some call the umpire made - who is just some dude in jeans wearing a face mask.

If someone's gonna get heckled and ridiculed you may as well make the parents pay for it.