Force Out?

Guest New2this
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2177 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest New2this

So...situation was this. Little League game..Majors division. 

Bases loaded..batter hits a ball to the SS who underhand delivers to the 3rd baseman. Runner from 2nd stops 1/2 to 3rd and 3rd baseman comes out to tag him. By the time the tag was laid down, the runner from 3rd crossed the plate. 

My initial ruling was that was a force out..run does not score. 

UIC at the complex, whom I called to verify rule as a coach was contesting it, said that was not  a force. 

President of the league said it was a force..over rulled the UIC. 

I have never seen this play in 10 yrs playing baseball, 15 years watching my son play, nor 4 years umpiring. 

Anyone have a ruling + rule number? 

13 answers to this question

OBR 5.09(b) Retiring a Runner 

Any runner is out when:

(6) He or the next base is tagged before he touches the next base, after he has been forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner.

LL pretty much aligns with OBR, so I'd bet you can find this in the LL rule book. 

3 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Any runner is out when:

(6) He or the next base is tagged before he touches the next base, after he has been forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner.

LL pretty much aligns with OBR, so I'd bet you can find this in the LL rule book. 

/\ this, I don't have a green book handy to find the rule cite.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Any runner is out when:

That just says he's out.

You also need the definition of 'force play', which makes no reference to the manner in which a runner forced to advance is retired (tagging him or the base).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maven said:

That just says he's out.

You also need the definition of 'force play', which makes no reference to the manner in which a runner forced to advance is retired (tagging him or the base).

Right.   IT would be nice if the "how a run scores" used "runner retired on a force play" instead of "by a runner being forced out" (or whatever the specific wording is; OR if the definitions also included Force Out.

I mean, it's obvious to all of us, but to some who hold the other belief, it's not so obvisou given the wording.

1 minute ago, maven said:

That just says he's out.

A FORCE PLAY is a play in which a runner legally loses his right to occupy a base by reason of the batter becoming a runner.

5.08 How a Team Scores

(a) One run shall be scored each time a runner legally advances to and touches first, second, third and home base before three men are put out to end the inning.

EXCEPTION: A run is not scored if the runner advances to home base during a play in which the third out is made (1) by the batter-runner before he touches first base; (2) by any runner being forced out; or (3) by a preceding runner who is declared out because he failed to touch one of the bases.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

A FORCE PLAY is a play in which a runner legally loses his right to occupy a base by reason of the batter becoming a runner.

5.08 How a Team Scores

(a) One run shall be scored each time a runner legally advances to and touches first, second, third and home base before three men are put out to end the inning.

EXCEPTION: A run is not scored if the runner advances to home base during a play in which the third out is made (1) by the batter-runner before he touches first base; (2) by any runner being forced out; or (3) by a preceding runner who is declared out because he failed to touch one of the bases.

4.09 in the LL rule book.

12 minutes ago, maven said:

That just says he's out.

Yes, the definition, at least, is clear in not differentiating whether the runner or the base needs to be tagged...only defining the situation, which you would hope in turn people would understand that it is the situation that defines the force, not how the runner is put out.   

10 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I mean, it's obvious to all of us, but to some who hold the other belief, it's not so obvisou given the wording.

You keep saying that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

These tournaments and associations have to stopping giving UIC status to the umpire who happens to be the oldest, or longest standing.   Not the first time I've heard of or seen a UIC botch a rule so badly.   Once had a UIC nullify a run when the B/R was tagged out a third base, because "the batter was the third out".

• Like 1

Little League has not changed its numbering format to match the MLB rule book. So its equivalent rule to 5.09b is in the LL book as rule 7.08e and it is worded slightly differently from the OBR--

7.08(e) Any runner is out when:

failing to reach the next base before a fielder tags said runner or the base after that runner has been forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner. However, if a following runner is put out on a force play, the force is removed and the runner must be tagged to be put out…